Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Remote shutter release for D850?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

mentalcare

mentalcare

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi there.

Does anyone have any experience with this model on D850?

https://www.amazon.c...ljaz10cnVl&th=1

It seems a lot cheaper than other Nikon models (with /without cable).
Whitch devices are you using for long exposures?

Best regards and enjoy your weekend
Jesper.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't but peace of mind is an important asset.

For those on a budget, I recommend this:
https://www.nikonusa...ctTabs-Overview

I am using this one, just perfect:
https://www.nikonusa...emote-cord.html

Cheaper in Europe: 160€
mc-36a Geizhals Österreich

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 7,613 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

These cheap third-party remotes tend to work just fine when new, but the 10-pin connector soon corrode and start getting unreliable. When you buy your third, you will definitely wish you had bought a MC-30 instead. All those interval settings are of more use for the Canon crowd as a D850 has a built-in intervalometer.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,559 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

You have a very expensive camera. Why would you skimp on a remote shutter release?

--Ron

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,602 posts
  • Country Flag

You have a very expensive camera. Why would you skimp on a remote shutter release? --Ron

In my view, its not to do with money but reliability, 
quality, and performance through and through.

krag96

krag96

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm using an MC-30 on my D700's and find it's all I need or want.  It simply does the job.  It doesn't work if I'm including myself in a photo or if I'm more than a few feet away from the camera.

With a few exceptions on accessories I stick with Nikon products as they're designed and engineered to work with their products exclusively...I've never been disappointed in Nikon quality if I do my part and know what I'm buying.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,602 posts
  • Country Flag

It doesn't if I'm more than a few feet away from the camera.

In that case, I use PocketWizard's PLUS 3
— good to a hundred plus feet.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,559 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

In my view, its not to do with money but reliability, 
quality, and performance through and through.

Same difference. You get what you pay for. One has to presume that the OP had quality imaging in mind when they opted for a top of the line, pro quality camera. I have the same reaction when I see posts from D5/Z7/D850 users complaining about the cost of cards or batteries. They've just blown the rent money on a top of the line camera and they want to use drugstore memory cards.

--Ron

mentalcare

mentalcare

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

You have a very expensive camera. Why would you skimp on a remote shutter release?

--Ron

That is why I was asking

mentalcare

mentalcare

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Same difference. You get what you pay for. One has to presume that the OP had quality imaging in mind when they opted for a top of the line, pro quality camera. I have the same reaction when I see posts from D5/Z7/D850 users complaining about the cost of cards or batteries. They've just blown the rent money on a top of the line camera and they want to use drugstore memory cards.

--Ron

I'm sorry that I tricked your reaction/recentment.

I collect Rolex watches and could never dream of putting non-original parts on them. That said, I have no problem buying an unoriginal cleaning cloth for both the Rolex or my Nikon cameras.
When I was an advertising photographer (I'm now retired) with Sinar P 13x18 cm I always used nose grease and not an expensive star filter, as a fog filter, I used the trick to breathe on the lens.
I'm not talking here about amateurish snobbery, but solely about experience and common sense.
I asked about the experiences of this forum, I was not out to start a discussion.
Best regards
Jesper

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,602 posts
  • Country Flag

I was an advertising photographer (I'm now retired) with Sinar P 13x18 cm

I was using the P2 4x5… now retired, maybe I should too! :P

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,559 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm sorry that I tricked your reaction/recentment.

I collect Rolex watches and could never dream of putting non-original parts on them. That said, I have no problem buying an unoriginal cleaning cloth for both the Rolex or my Nikon cameras.
When I was an advertising photographer (I'm now retired) with Sinar P 13x18 cm I always used nose grease and not an expensive star filter, as a fog filter, I used the trick to breathe on the lens.
I'm not talking here about amateurish snobbery, but solely about experience and common sense.
I asked about the experiences of this forum, I was not out to start a discussion.
Best regards
Jesper

OK, you got me. I'm officially chastised. I'll go over to a neutral corner and cry on my Casio. :D

Enjoy your new camera!

--Ron