Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tamrac bags?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I have an old Tamrac that I use that so far suits me fine. I'm thinking of getting a Domke someday though, so that I can accommodate two cameras. 

1_zpsa06b49ea.jpg

I don't see how I can possibly fit another body in this bag and still have room for three extra lenses. 

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I have an old Tamrac that I use that so far suits me fine. I'm thinking of getting a Domke someday though, so that I can accommodate two cameras. 

1_zpsa06b49ea.jpg

I don't see how I can possibly fit another body in this bag and still have room for three extra lenses.

Is that a back pack?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I have a Tamrac Adventure 7 that is my go-to backpack. It is a bit small and I routinely have to pack a separate bag for the camera if I'm carrying more than 2 lenses. Other than that I love it and it has more miles on it than my current car ;)

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Not a backpack, a bag with a handle on top and carry strap.

Four buckle straps to hold it closed. 

It's a lot like this one, but an older model. 

Also, it's a few inches larger than the newer one. 

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Not a backpack, a bag with a handle on top and carry strap.

Four buckle straps to hold it closed. 

It's a lot like this one, but an older model. 

Also, it's a few inches larger than the newer one.

All the camera bags I use, apart from a brown canvas Domke type (which I don't use), are backpacks. Do you use a shoulder strap when you are carrying the bag and do you not find it to be a bit cumbersome? Perhaps I walk further before taking my shot, but I like the idea of having my hands free.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't carry it around with me all that often. I would like to get a backpack type bag someday, perhaps, if I were to go hiking and wanted to carry everything with me. 

Usually I just carry the camera and one extra lens in a smaller bag, or just the camera itself. 

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Domke?  Have you considered Lowepro?  I believe they make the best bags.  I've had a large Lowepro Magnum bag for years and I've never seen a better bag.  I have an older version of this one.  It looks nearly the same, just without the laptop sleeve:

http://store.lowepro...s/magnum-650-aw

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you like how the old system bags are made and work, why not look at a pro system 8 or 10. If you like the lens cradle, neither a Domke or a Lowepro have anything like it afaik.

A Domke bag is well made and cheap compared to others in the larger sizes. Lowepros and Tamracs both look like camera bags, a Domke is a bit less visible. My favourite bags by Billingham are a bit expensive, but well made and easy to work out of even without putting the bag down on the ground.

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
The Billinghams are great to use even whilst open. The kit is so easy to get to whilst photographing.
I have a 450 and I can get both bodies in along with a 14-24, 24-70, and 70-210 along with a host of teleconverters, batteries and other kit. Been out in mental rain as well and everything stays dry.
But on a walking shoot I'll use my Tamrac Expedition 7, great backpack that'll accommodate everything and the lunch!
Cheaper quality than the Billingham and not totally waterproof. I've had rain come into the main compartment even though it's supposed to be weather proofed with seals and flaps.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have a Lowepro rolling bag that holds most of my gear...my 200-400 came with a nice sholder bag and I throw my monopod on the provided loops on the side of it...I still have a backpack bag that I can use when I'm not carrying all the gear and some 70's vintage bags that are still in great shape...since I mostly haul all the gear to a field and then go shoot, the rolling bag is easier to "carry" and is quite easy to work out of...another guy who shoots quite a few of the same games usually carries a suitcase-sized roller where he keeps all his gear...just seems too big to me...but he has more toys than I do! 

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I use a vanguard UP-Rise34 for carrying my camera around with two lensses. Worth looking at as it is sturdy, but does not look like a camera bag. http://www.amazon.co...words=up-rise34
I have a larger Hama that can accomodate a tripod attached to the back and is a largish back pack type, but again does not stand out as a bag carrying photographic equipment. http://www.amazon.co...hama camera bag
The problem I have with both is playing about with the velcro seperators to the various sections to accomodate camera and lenses

whitelotus9

whitelotus9

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationKissimmee, Florida USA

Site Supporter

I purchased a Tamrac Jazz 83 Photo/iPad Backpack today for $59.99 from Colonial Photo and Hobby in Orlando, Florida.  It has plenty of room for my D3100 with a Tamron 70-300 telephoto installed and the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses that came with the D3100.  There is extra room that could hold a 2nd camera body and a flash and either a dust blower or another lens.  I haven't checked to see if my Lenovo Yoga 10 Android tablet will fit into the iPad/tablet slot yet.  What surprised me was that the Jazz 85 (which is larger than the 83) actually has less room for one's camera gear due to a large mesh enclosed compartment above the main camera space.