Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting noise loading raw files from D850

editing d850 raw

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Smileybastard

Smileybastard

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I just got a D850 and while I am used to the raw files from my d7200 when I try to edit the images from my D850 I am getting ... noise.  Oddly when I load an photo in Microsoft Photos the image looks good initially and then 4 seconds later the image degrades.

I included before and after screenshots.

Attached Thumbnails

• Initial.png
  • 4SecondsLater.png

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I just got a D850 and while I am used to the raw files from my d7200 when I try to edit the images from my D850 I am getting ... noise.  Oddly when I load an photo in Microsoft Photos the image looks good initially and then 4 seconds later the image degrades.

I included before and after screenshots.

The initial image is the embedded preview .jpg that the camera creates. This is replaced by the MS Photos raw conversion that doesn't seem to handle D850 NEF-s that well. Have you tried some other raw converter? Nikon have one simple and one with more features and better control over the final image available free here.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

If you are handling the D850, I suggest you go to a pro
RAW converter, I think this is not a place to compromise

in terms of quality and performance.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Even though there is an NEF windows codec, I'm not sure how well it's supported by Microsoft's own photo apps. Nikon Shooter is right. You've spent a lot of money to get a professional grade camera. Don't go retrograde on the software side of things. Spend the change... and, comparably, it really is pocket change, and get a good professional grade application. 

Peter is also right in that Nikon's own Capture NX-D is a much better alternative to Microsoft photos (or whatever they're calling it this week). And it's totally free.

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: editing, d850, raw