Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I'm not sure how far I want to get into this...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Last night I took my D700, Nikkor 24-120 f4, tripod, and wired remote into the back yard to shoot stars.  There was some light pollution, but over-all I was impressed with the results of the three pictures I took, (first time star shooting).  Anyhow, I'm wondering if a Nikkor 20mm f2.8 D (or any recommendation of yours) would do that much of a better job as to be worth a purchase.

Here's what I did with the 24-120 last night.  D700-Nikkor 24-120 f4 lens at 24mm f4 ISO 3200 for 23 seconds using a wired remote  Nikon trigger on Bulb setting. 

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC3366.JPG
  • _DSC3367.JPG
  • _DSC3368.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

One of the best wide lenses for this type of astro is the Samyang 14/2.8. It is also one of the cheapest you can get new.

Nicole (nbanjogal) has some excellent milky way and nightscape shots up if you want to see what it can do on a D600.

The 20/2.8 shows its age with night shots as you will have to clean up some CA with every shot. The AF-S 20/1.8 ED is a much better choice if you can find one at a price you want to pay.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yes, I remember some of Nicole's Milky Way shots and they are wonderful!  I'll have another look at them and what she used, then check out who has the lens.  At this point I don't plan on getting a kit for deep space, just some good shots of the Milky Way. 

Thanks for the post!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I have the latest AF-S 20mm f1.8 and it's a beautiful lens. However, because of where I live (south Florida) the light pollution is usually way too bad for me to even attempt any astrophotography.  I can rarely see any stars at all.The Milky Way! Forget it!. And, no, I'm not going to be eat up by mosquitoes in the Everglades in order to try this lens out. 

Your shots are pretty nice considering the light pollution and all.

--Ron

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Having done better than I expected with the Nikkor 24-120 f4, (the night was clear and crisp with low humidity and it was one of those, "Why not try it moments."  with all of five minutes prep time and a neighbor with his porch light on) I do want to go into it more with maybe a map showing what's in view, what direction and when.  I think I'll go with an f2.8 zoom, something in the 17-35mm range rather than a one trick pony ultra wide prime.  Oh, some of the best spots for photography are pretty crowded these days with folks breaking out of isolation after several weeks.  There's some scouting to be done for sure, plenty of dark country roads to be explored around here for a suitable position.

I don't blame you for not going into the Everglades after dark, Ron.  And the skeeters are just the beginning of the woes that can be encountered there!  Those dinosaurs you folks have down there tend to be not so picky when it comes to their snack time! 

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The Everglades... oh the stories I could tell. Like the time we were down near Flamingo and saw a mom with two little ones posing next to a 15 foot bull alligator, who was sunning himself beside the road, while dad stood across the road with camera in hand. They were less and six feet away and the old boy could have gotten all three with one lunge. You would be astonished at how fast those things can move.

Oh, and the stars... almost forgot. If you can stand the mosquitoes, the stars are amazing. There's still light pollution from Miami ... can't get away from that even if you venture down into the Keys. But it's diminished enough to allow some fantastic shots. 

Sounds like you have a plan for your astrophotography. Beware though... I think Nicole mentioned once that it can be very addicting. Hope you'll post some examples from your adventures.

--Ron

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yeah, I saw a photograph of a 6-8 foot one climbing over a 6' wooden privacy fence in someone's back yard...They've learned to climb fences now, have they?!  That's impolite of them to just barge in like that, they may end up a handbag, or a fancy pair of boots.  How's the meat?  I can imagine flame grilled dinosaur steaks with a sweet Hickory/honey BBQ sauce might be tasty. 

I spent too much time researching the best lens for my purposes as I always came back to the Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 ED.  I guess that tells me something, just buy the thing and be done with it!  It should prove excellent for both stars and low light wide angle photography. 

Yes, I've been scouting better sites locally for stars and thinking of doing some night street scenes in the small towns around here and maybe some of the better preserved historical towns within an easy day trip.  Actually there's enough around here to fill many CF cards if a fellow just knows where to look and isn't afraid to ask permission to venture onto the property.

I'll post some of the captures I get.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

After some thought I bought an older Nikkor 20-35mm f/2.8 D and I like it!  These shots were 25-30 second exposures.  Next time I'll shorten the exposure, it looks like I'm getting a hint of trail or egg shape on the stars with the faster lens. I certainly got more stars with this lens!

I also bought a star map with what's in view where and when.  Seems I'll have to wait at least until August to get Orion's Nebulous, but from there I should have plenty of time to photograph it as it doesn't go away from my view in early February.

6uwVrj9.jpg

3pYq1dT.jpg

Bic6Sn2.jpg

• Ron likes this

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Most promising results… go for more! :P

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think it's found a home on one of my D700's!  It'll get lots of use, I've been using wide angle more these days than I ever did, and when Orion's Nebulous comes into view It'll get a lot of work at night.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

There's a comet appearing this month. I don't remember the details at the moment but I believe it's been rising just before dawn but will soon begin appearing just after sunset in the northern sky and will rise as darkness sets in. You may want to look for that. I haven't done very much astrophotography but I seem to remember something about keeping exposure times at or under 15 seconds to prevent star trails from forming.

--Ron

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I may have seen it around dusk a few evenings ago, it seemed to linger a while.  It's been overcast the past few nights so I haven't even looked since.  I'll do a search for it and see if I get any results.  Thanks, Ron!

I've been shooting 20-30 second exposures and have just got the hint of trails and egg shaped stars.  As I recall exposure time has to do with the focal length and aperture of the lens.  The Nikkor 20-35mm f/2.8 D is faster than the 24-120 f/4 G ED so exposure time with the latter would be longer than with the former faster shorter lens.

Just for fun, notice the bright green vertical dots on the left of the last photo?..Firefly! 

• Ron likes this

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure I got milk!..as in celestial ''milky'' clouds.  Last night while giving my Border Collie his last play of the day around 23:30 EDST on a clear non light polluted night I noticed a milky streak across the stars to the East above me.  ''Well, Shadow.  It's time to set up the Nikon!  This doesn't look like clouds in the atmosphere, buddy.  We better capture em!"  Yeah, I can hardly wait for September when Orion's Nebulous comes into view!

Here's a few I got last night with my D700 and Nikkor 20-35mm f/2.8 D  Exposure time was 25 and 20 seconds. 07-13-2020

4L8mQ3u.jpg

20 seconds

NdRANWJ.jpg

Much the same except the stars show more clearly through the tree in the longer exposure.

Now, I did have some doubts as to weather the cloud was celestial or in the atmosphere in front of the stars until I saw the same formation tonight at the same time, however it moved more directly overhead in 24 hours time like the phase of the moon.  Again a clear night with little light pollution the camera came out again to shoot the milky cloud in the stars, (guess that's why it's the Milky Way). 

This photo is a 20 second exposure with light painting of the tree top.  07-14-2020

3LcUu0Y.jpg

15 second exposure.

8yIxSyz.jpg

Another 15 second exposure

RLLNsdr.jpg

I do like this old Nikkor lens and don't feel as though I'm missing a thing apposed to the new 17-35mm f/2.8 AF S version.  It's a great Nikkor classic that still works as well as it ever did!

• Ron likes this

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
Light pollution is not a problem in most of Arizona and New Mexico, also no skeeters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro