Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3400 - unable to remote control shutter via Snapbridge or ML-L3 remote

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

rawlins02

rawlins02

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

No shutter open/close from the ML-L3 I purchased. Have a new battery, set shutter speed to Bulb and set remote on duration (ML-L3) to 5 minutes.

I've connected the camera and Android phone app Snapbridge. When I then select "Remote Photography" I get a message saying "Remote control not available. Camera cannot connect via Wifi; remote photography not available."

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As the D3400 doesn't have WiFi, remote control over Snapbridge isn't possible.

Have you read the directions for using the ML-L3 on page 95 onwards in the manual? I am not sure if B works with the remote, you might have to use T to control the shutter opening and closing from the remote.

rawlins02

rawlins02

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

As the D3400 doesn't have WiFi, remote control over Snapbridge isn't possible.

Have you read the directions for using the ML-L3 on page 95 onwards in the manual? I am not sure if B works with the remote, you might have to use T to control the shutter opening and closing from the remote.

No, I had not. Just did, and see that one needs to set the proper release mode. Good news in that the shutter opened when I set to 2 second delayed response, but only after pressing the ML-L3 button several times. I'm not seeing anything happen when set to quick response mode. I recall seeing instructions on a web page about pressing the ML-L3 3 times to "arm" it. I'm going to get a new battery before doing any more tests. Can you point me to a guide for the ML-L3, if this is not it? Thanks

Using an Optional ML-L3 Remote Control

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I am not *that* familiar with the ML-L3 as I have never owned a Nikon that can't use a wired remote. I *have* used them lots when I used to run workshops for new Nikon-owners, in cooperation with a local store. They can be a bit finicky about being pointed straight at the window in the camera and they don't work too well in bright sun. Putting a new battery in won't hurt...

rawlins02

rawlins02

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I am not *that* familiar with the ML-L3 as I have never owned a Nikon that can't use a wired remote. I *have* used them lots when I used to run workshops for new Nikon-owners, in cooperation with a local store. They can be a bit finicky about being pointed straight at the window in the camera and they don't work too well in bright sun. Putting a new battery in won't hurt...

Being finicky is consistent with other comments I've seen.

I'm getting back into photography more vigorously after many years of just casual use, and am keenly interested in creative night photography. Will try using a black cardboard/object placed in front of the lens if I need to manually trigger the shutter open and shut.