Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Critique on an architectural shot...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

One of the areas I want to improve upon is architectural - Texas has so many of these beautiful old courthouses and I want to start a small portfolio highlighting them.

Other than the obvious cables strung between the coupula and the other buildings - any suggestions?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Composition looks great, horizon looks level, and the wire is an easy fix in photoshop.  I'd say the one recommendation would be to choose a different time of day where the lighting is more even across the front facade of the building.  The left side is currently in shadow with the tree casting a fluffy shadow along the front steps.

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

Composition looks great, horizon looks level, and the wire is an easy fix in photoshop.  I'd say the one recommendation would be to choose a different time of day where the lighting is more even across the front facade of the building.  The left side is currently in shadow with the tree casting a fluffy shadow along the front steps.

Thanks!

I'll try again a bit later in the day sometime and see if I can at least get rid of that shadow.  Lighting is tough on this building due to its alignement and large number of trees. Maybe an hour or so later in the day will get rid of the tree shadow.  But harsher light.  Afternoon light pretty much year-round leaves a shadow from the large tree on the left (south-ish side of building).

Still need to improve on my 'shopping technique, as I can see where I've removed the wires each time I try.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I like it. I think everything is good. I'm not sure but building looks like little tilted on the wright side. In what time did you make this shot?

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

I like it. I think everything is good. I'm not sure but building looks like little tilted on the wright side. In what time did you make this shot?

Thanks!  There is still some perspecective distortion - might be what you are noticing.  Or my level may still be off a tiny bit.  Shot was taken about 0840 local time in October.

Jay

Jay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag

I think the skies blue tone is unrealistically dark and differs in shade .   Perhaps cool the warmth down and up the brightness a touch. Saturation could also be dropped maybe even try it in black and white if you can't get the colors to work.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nice shot Gordo.  

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

I think the skies blue tone is unrealistically dark and differs in shade .   Perhaps cool the warmth down and up the brightness a touch. Saturation could also be dropped maybe even try it in black and white if you can't get the colors to work.

Thanks!  The differing shade from horizon to zenith is how it actually looks around here when we have "clear" blue skies - looking through more haze and other atmospheric clutter horizonatlly than when you look up.  I can adjust the saturation.  I'll have to look at it again once I get calibration equipment and calibrate my monitor.  B&W gives some interesting looks - especially with the stonework.  :)

Nice shot Gordo.  

Thanks!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

would love to see this in a moody black and white shot.

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

would love to see this in a moody black and white shot.

Here's one I did of the entry...

Open for critique as well.

And did the same treatment to the original shot.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I definitely like these in B&W better. 

Unless there is a specific reason to show the colors, architectural and portrait shots usually look better in B&W to me because you can see more of the details.

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

I definitely like these in B&W better. 

Unless there is a specific reason to show the colors, architectural and portrait shots usually look better in B&W to me because you can see more of the details.

Yeah, the detail on the stones at 100% is quite nice.  (I'm just a big fan of native limestone and red sandstone in classic buildings - really like the combination.)  I still need a lot more work on comp and post-processing, etc... :)

Thanks!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

The B&W is nice, but I love the contrasting colors of the stone and would hate to see that go away.

I'm not an architectural photographer--I rarely attempt it unless I'm playing tourist, so I don't have much to offer...but the crop feels a bit tight on top and bottom. I'd like a bit of breathing room for that grand eagle up top.

Super sharp when viewed large--really nice!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Fantastic in b&w. A great building to photograph. I agree with Nicole, could do with a bit more room but very sharp and great detail.

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

Rob, Nicole - thanks!  Was standing on the opposite sidewalk with a 35mm, so I'd need a 24mm or so to get more room.  I'll be re-visiting at some point, and I'll take a wider lens.

Fantastic in b&w. A great building to photograph. I agree with Nicole, could do with a bit more room but very sharp and great detail.

The B&W is nice, but I love the contrasting colors of the stone and would hate to see that go away.

I'm not an architectural photographer--I rarely attempt it unless I'm playing tourist, so I don't have much to offer...but the crop feels a bit tight on top and bottom. I'd like a bit of breathing room for that grand eagle up top.

Super sharp when viewed large--really nice!

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

As Nicole has alraady mentioned, the B&W is a sharp image. Looks really good.

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

As Nicole has alraady mentioned, the B&W is a sharp image. Looks really good.

Thank you!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

The B&W's are very nice. Good job.

Cool building.

Gordo

Gordo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Country Flag

The B&W's are very nice. Good job.

Cool building.

Thanks!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I would like to get pictures of the courthouse down in Goliad.    There is a historical marker in front of the "Hanging Tree" which is a tree that they used to hang convicted murderers and cattle thieves from.  The tree is still there (and it is huge), and there is a cafe across the street from the courthouse which is called The Hanging Tree.  The architectural style of the courthouse in Goliad is very similar to the courthouse in your photograph in the OP.

The missions in/around Goliad are really cool too.