Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Nikon 50 f1.2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
Was scanning eBay for Nikon stuff and my eye was caught by an ad from a US seller of a 50 f1.2 AIS in as new condition. Got out my two Nikon compendiums to read the technical details, now am wondering how it performs in real world. Also ordered from B&H a UV filter and Nikon lens hood. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,631 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Like so many AiS lenses, it handles adverse lighting better than the Ai versions did, but the shorter focus throw makes it a bit harder to focus accurately.

What hood did you get for it? HS-12 or HR-2?

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
Got an HR-2 on order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Country Flag

The Ais version has more aperture blades than the older Ai version.

Agree about the short focus throw- I have an easier time with my older 55/1.2 Ai than the 50/1.2 Ais. The latter is sharper across the entire frame, the 55/1.2 is sharp across the center 2/3rds of the frame.

I use an HS-7, made for the 58/1.2- got the hood cheap in the box. I've never noticed a problem using it. Wish I had the 58/1.2 to go with it!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,631 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I didn't remember the 9 vs 7 aperture blades, probably because I seldom close a fast 50 down enough that it matters.