Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7200 focus issues, not rectified through AF Fine Tune

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

NYPhotoGuy

NYPhotoGuy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
hey folks!

I have a d7200. AF is missing its mark when working through viewfinder. I have tried a slew of lenses from 50 and 85 prime N lenses to standard G, dx format lenses, even my Tamron and Sigma lenses of various types.

Focusing is either back or front, but never on.

FOCUS WORKS THROUGH LIVE VIEW AND IS SPOT ON WITHOUT ANY ADJUSTMENTS.

What I've done:
50mm 1.4 on tripod with focus chart at standard distances and Fstops

Adjust AF fine tune up or down, AF sensor through viewfinder inconsistent, focuses back or front of chart, no consistency. Set +3 and fire 3 photos, each photo with single focus point is focusing front or back and has no true lock on.

Did a full factory reset of camera

Tried the whole chart over again. No luck.

Called Nikon for help, did the various requested tests with them, no luck.

Sent raw photos to nikon, they said the data and photos shows the camera is in spec. But they admit the subjects are out of focus and soft.

Lenses used for sample photos (subject was an eye test chart sitting vertically on a table with pegs at regular 6" intervals on either side of the chart with a white backdrop 3' behind, to see where the focus was firing (distance plus simple BW subject)

Chart was never in focus, despite being in center Single Focus Point mode.

Lenses 35,50,85 1.4 and 3.5 of various makes
24-70 2.8 Nikon
70-200 Nikon
200-500 Tamron (series one and 2)

I think the sensor in the camera for the viewfinder is out of calibration, or there is an issue inside the mirror that I can't find. Nikon won't offer any repair since the cameras raw files and data are showing the camera to be within spec, despite their admission the subjects aren't focusing. Should mention I did the same tests side by side with my D30, D3s and D4s as well as my D610 and those bodies were dead on target with focus.

So...with that long and tedious preamble, what do you all suggest? Is there some backdoor "secret" software or technical thing that I can use to manually reset or adjust the system that controls focus through the viewfinder? I'd hate for the d7200 to become a brick, its my favorite "go anywhere" body.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Could you please post one or two photos from the test and indicating which point of the chart you are focusing on.

Just checking: I suppose you're using singel point focus?

Here is a pointer to making your own focusing target A home-made focusing target - Do-it-yourself (DIY) - NikonForums.com

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Has the camera had any sort of knock, its possible the phase detect unit is slightly out, if so this would not affect live view focusing as it uses contrast as far as  know.

Have you tried using a tripod and one lens, say the 70 200 at 200, without moving the camera set it at its max minus adjustment take an image then set it to its max plus adjustment and take the same image, see what difference you get

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

need photo to go off from