Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hand strap, or sling?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

krag96

krag96

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Country Flag

The stock strap Nikon sends with the D700 is all but useless in my opinion.  I've been thinking a hand strap or something more like a rifle sling may be more to my liking. What do you guys use for walking around or events?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • Country Flag

The Nikon hand strap / Tamrac shoulder strap combo
on the D3S and D3X and just a Tamrac shoulder strap
on the D810 and D850.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,264 posts
  • Country Flag
I’m using the Carry Speed system
Example:
https://www.bhphotov...ing_System.html
With different single/double slings and straps

Also I have bought some extra plates and mounted them on all my camerabodies and longer lenses. The plates are Arca Swiss compatible, so can also be used for mounting the camera or lens on a tripod (having an Arca Swiss clamp).

So, whenever I want to go for a walk or event and take my camera I just take the strap that fits best and everything is just ready.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Premium Member
  • 3,424 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I don't use straps in most situations but when I do I use Black Rapid straps...

bluzman

bluzman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag

I quickly found that the neck straps that came with my cameras were quite uncomfortable, especially if I was using a heavy telephoto lens.

Now I use a BlackRapid strap (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M1NKD4/) with my D7500. I attach it to the camera with a quick release plate that has an attachment loop (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Z6CLPV/) rather than the screw-in connector that came with the strap.

For my D5600 and Z50, I use this strap (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBGLR2T/) which comes with a similar (but not QR) attachment plate.

I went to this type of set up because it allows the strap to be quickly attached/detached and the battery compartment is accessible, at least on my cameras.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Don't decide anything without looking at the Peak Design Slide. I started with Black Rapid and found their straps very good, but once I tried Peak Design products I never look back.

krag96

krag96

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for for the replies.  I'm looking at some Black Rapid Carry Speed, and Peak Design models, there's features I like with all them.  Now to decide on which one. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 7,514 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I use OP/TECH Pro straps, and have used them for many years. On a body without a vertical grip I use a Canon hand strap, I think it is the E-2.

I have tried some Black Rapids and some kind of Peak Design, but I always return to the OP/TECHs.

The D700 strap is on of the better Nikon freebies, but that doesn't say much...

krag96

krag96

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Country Flag

Again, thanks for the replies and I've made two choices after some careful research.  I've got an OP/TECH Utility sling and  a Joby Ultra Fit Sling on the way.  There's some features I like about both and neither will go to waste as I have more than one camera.  Both are priced about the same, while the OP/TECH seems common, the Joby seems kinda hard to find.  The more comfortable and secure of the two will go on the D700 while the other will go on the D5500.  I like the strap of the Joby, but prefer the attachment point of the OP/Tech.  I'll see how things work out when they arrive. 

fallout666

fallout666

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i love my black rapid strap 

krag96

krag96

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Country Flag

I gave the Black Rapid slings a serious look and a lot of consideration, and may still get one.  The Joby Ultra Fit slides and locks to keep the camera snug to the body when not in use and unlocks with the snap of a lever for use, I like that.  The OP/TECH uses one of the camera's strap mounts on top and I like rather than using the tripod screw mount on the bottom.  I also have an OP/TECH wrist strap coming with the sling, (happened on a package deal) which may be ideal for the light weight D5500 leaving the slings for the D700 heavy weight and the Canon F1n film camera. 

These after market companies have come up with some good and useful designs for real world toting of cameras where-as the manufacturers pack a strap with their bodies just to say they did and advertise for their brand.  The factory strap supplied with a D700 is nice, but tiresome from the moment you put it around your neck! 

krag96

krag96

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Country Flag

Yesterday I received my Joby sling and I really like it, it keeps the camera close to the body is comfortable and easy to use.  Construction and design seem right, it unlocks from the carry position to shooting position with a simple lever.  It's made of seat belt webbing with a wide padded area for the shoulder, so it's tough and like the Black Rapid, it uses the camera's tripod mount as an attachment point with a key like built it flip out wrench. 

From the photos of the Op/Tech sling and hand strap I was a bit leery with the way it mounts to a single camera strap point, but the price was right and it's one of the few slings that doesn't use the tripod mount port.  I received the Op/Tech sling and hand strap today and I'll say the materials and workmanship are top-shelf.  The photos don't do their products justice and any question as to using their products has vanished.  While the sling is of excellent quality like the Joby, the hand strap is of a spongy material covered with nylon like many after market neck straps, but uses top quality attachment and hardware. 

I'm quite pleased with all three pieces I've received leaving only the question of comfort between the two slings.  I may soon do some small town street photography and answer the question of which sling will find a home on the D700 which can go over five pounds with battery grip and 75-300mm Nikkor f4.5-5.6 lens, (it's an oldie, but still a goodie).