Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Right hand side out of focus - D810 with 60mm f2.8

focus focussing out of focus blur blurry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

tomjohnrose

tomjohnrose

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello! This is my first Nikon forum post!

For the past few years, I have been using a D810 with the Nikon 60mm f2.8 macro prime lens, for the purpose of photographing paintings and other artwork, for fine art giclee reproduction.

I shoot tethered to lightoom, using two flash units. However, I have recently noticed that the right hand side of the frame is never in focus, only the left hand side. When I navigate to 1:1, the left side is pin sharp, and the right side just out of focus. Very annoying when you want pin sharp prints! I have been photographing artworks in sections for a while now, to temporarily get around the problem, only using the left hand side of the frame. The camera is 100% square on, and the artwork is 100% square on.

What may be the cause of this? Is there a simple fix?

Thank you in advance!

Tom

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Welcome! :P

A sample shot, Tom?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello,

While a sample shot with EXIF data would definitely help, here a few preliminary considerations:

1/ in order to exclude a problem with the lens:
Do you have a second lens to test with if the issue repeats

2/ Based on a painting and a being a 100% square:
- what are the focus settings? (If anything different, could you try a single focussing point on the right side)
- does it also apply when focussing with the Liveview?
These are to check whether there might be a problem with the focussing system

3/ have you checked that there is no dirt on your sensor?

chingwe

chingwe

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

I had the exact same problem with the kit lens that came with my D40, turned out that the lens elements were held in place by tape and one side was loose.  Never did get it fixed because I took apart the lens and didn't have the tools needed to calibrate the lens bundles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: focus, focussing, out of focus, blur, blurry