Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lighter Gear Same Function

d7000 lighter hiking 18-300af

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

william@campvann.com

william@campvann.com

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I do a lot of hiking and backpacking. I am currently carting a D7000 with an AF18-300 (I do not want to have to change lenses in the field). 

I am looking to replace my gear and want recommendations to get the same quality and flexibility, but with a lighter load. Together the lens and camera are about 5lbs. That's a lot to carry around your neck for 8 to 10 miles or longer. 

Thank you!

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You'll loose some controls on the camera, (replaced IN the camera menu) if you go with a D3000/5000 series, but the size and weight may be worth it to you.  I have a D700 and a D5500 and the size and weight are very substantial, yet the D5500 still gives fantastic photos, even on P mode.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Might also consider moving to a mirrorless camera. For example, this rig comes in at 1,080g (2.4 pounds).

Nikon Z50: 395g

Nikon FTZ lens adapter: 135g

AF-S DX 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR: 550g

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What version of the 18-300? The f/3.5-6.3 version has 1/3 less mass and is optically superior at the long end.

A D5500 has a better sensor and is 308 g less than the D7000, but the UI is not as nice and I find the controls slightly cramped. YMMV.

You might find that a better strap makes your current gear nicer to use. Either an Op-tech or a black rapid strap make for much less fatigue than a standard nylon strap.

Might also consider moving to a mirrorless camera. For example, this rig comes in at 1,080g (2.4 pounds).

Nikon Z50: 395g

Nikon FTZ lens adapter: 135g

AF-S DX 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR: 550g

The D5500 has less mass than the Z50 + adapter... It is only 466g including battery and memory card.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Given the option, I think I would search out a better carrying solution as suggested by Merco.  Perhaps a backpack that can carry your gear as well as anything else you want to take on a hike combined with one of the more comfortable straps he mentioned.  

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

What version of the 18-300? The f/3.5-6.3 version has 1/3 less mass and is optically superior at the long end.

A D5500 has a better sensor and is 308 g less than the D7000, but the UI is not as nice and I find the controls slightly cramped. YMMV.

You might find that a better strap makes your current gear nicer to use. Either an Op-tech or a black rapid strap make for much less fatigue than a standard nylon strap.

The D5500 has less mass than the Z50 + adapter... It is only 466g including battery and memory card.

I second the notion of using a strap for improved comfort. I use a BlackRapid and am quite happy with it. Speaking as an owner of both a D5600 and D7500 as well as Z50, I'd be reluctant to drop back to a D5XXX model. Just my opinion though. YMMV

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

best option is Z50 but not sure on ens since 18-300mm and 18-400mm do have some weight. if had more info on how heavy or light of setup you want. i have not problem with 70-200mm on Z6 and  i use gen 1 nikon 70-200mm lens too. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d7000, lighter, hiking, 18-300af