Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which long tele

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I’m looking to get a long telephoto zoom for mainly bird photography. I use a D7500 and think I’ve narrowed it down to the Sigma 150-600 contemporary or the Nikon 200-500. Hiring is proving tricky at the moment so any guidance from those with experience of both/either very gratefully received.

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

I use either my Z7 or D850 with a Nikkor 200-500 for my bird photography, and haven't been disappointed so far. All my shots are hand held using VR, and I usually get fairly sharp images. You can see examples of my stuff at PhotoArt by Walter Blady.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

can not go wrong with any of two. comes down to do you want F/5.6 all day long or F/6.3 past 300mm 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As you have abandoned the Tamron G2, the choice is easier. The Sigma C has significantly slower focus than the Nikkor. It is far from unusabe for BIF, but the Nikkor suits your purpose better.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

As you have abandoned the Tamron G2, the choice is easier. The Sigma C has significantly slower focus than the Nikkor. It is far from unusabe for BIF, but the Nikkor suits your purpose better.

if talking about me i have gen 1 tamron and still have it. will got sigma or nikon when time comes. or just get sigma 120-300mm first then if tamron fix the lens 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

if talking about me i have gen 1 tamron and still have it. will got sigma or nikon when time comes. or just get sigma 120-300mm first then if tamron fix the lens 

Ridgewoodwoody had a thread about getting a long lens back in early February.

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikonian, you're quite right I had totally forgotten I'd asked the question here. Did nothing about it at the time and have remained undecided hence the repeat. It's a lot of money to pay out so I thought the more info I can collect the better but may it will just add to my indecision.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

If I had to buy again, the choice would be between the Sigma Sports, the Tamron G2 and the Nikkor. They all perform about equally optically, with similar sample variation. The Nikkor has the fastest AF, but has only the in-body fine tune available. The Tamron has the lowest mass to lug around and the Sigma is easiest to pan with handheld.

I am glad I went with the Sigma Sports, but it is expensive and heavy compared to the others. Here are some samples of what it can do in my hands.

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

Very nice images. I’m really after being able to print out to A3 and have a nice sharp image that doesn’t need to stand up to clinical scrutiny with a loupe but neither looks a bit soft to the naked eye. As I’ll mainly be using a tripod the weight doesn’t particularly bother me. Thanks again.