Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Changing Lenses

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Not sure whether it is because I have big hands or I am just have poor hand/eye coordination, but I find changing lenses when you are outside to be a bit of a challenge at times. I use my back pack as a rest or little table, but can anyone recomend a sequence of events to carry out the change without getting dirt in your camera or the lens?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Turn your body to block the wind and hold the camera body tilted toward the ground. Or place the body on a table or car hood, again with the lens opening away from the wind. I will take the bottom lens cap off the new lens and get it ready, face up. I then twist the old lens off, place it down onto the back lens cap, and then twist then new lens on. Both the back of the lens on both lenses and the body aren't in the open air for more than a second.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

K-9 is wright, but in any case you should be ready to get some dirt on your sensor, so you must have tools to clean it.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I have a blower but haven't had to use it yet. I've never had to clean any of my sensors with chemicals. I only prime lenses, which helps as zooms can load your camera with dust.

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland / UK / Ireland / Europe

Site Supporter

a Little post i put up earlier...

Terry Cloth ! - Nikon Lens Discussion - NikonForums.com

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

K-9 when you say you 'only prime lenses', what exactly do you mean?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Prime lenses are those with one set focal length (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, etc.) as opposed to zoom lenses which have ranges (18-55mm, 70-200mm, etc.).

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

In time of hicking it is easy to get some dirt on sensor when you are changing lens. I have a blower too. I often use it, as my d200 have no sensor cleaning system.

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

IMHO people are too often overworried about getting dirt in the camera from a lens change. I change the lenses regularly and don't do things like pointing the camera body down and such. I just flip it on it's back, pop the old lens off and pop the new one on. I will usually take the cap off the back of the lens while it is in the bag. Then slide the old lens in it's slot in the bag, grab the new lens, mount it on, then put the cap on the old lens. I have had a few times when in a hurry that I have just tossed the lens in the bag and closed the lid and worry about the cap later when I have time if things are moving fast.

I recently saw a video by Jasmine Star where she would do roughly the same thing using a hip bag for the lenses. No caps, just swapping the lenses back and forth as needed during a wedding. I saw the forum light up with critical comments of how could she ever do that, and no professional would ever do that. Hmmmmm, she makes $10,000 just to show up for a wedding is making a massive 6 figure income from her wedding photography (she books between 20 and 23 weddings a year and that is all she wants to book). I felt vindicated when I saw the video. Sure sometimes I get a little dust, but nothing that my brush is not able to brush off.

I am more careful at the beach though. Sand is just nasty. So I always cap right away at the beach. But I have not had any real issues there either.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I guess if I made $200,000 a year from my photos, had no trouble paying to have them and my sensor cleaned regularly, or paying retouchers to get rid of dust spots in post, I wouldn't worry about lens caps either.

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

Well I make a whole lot less than that for my photography and I don't sweat it either. I have yet to be burned from being so cavalier either.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

It's just a matter of how careful you want to be with your stuff. To me, taking the extra few seconds to turn your body, tilt the camera, and place the lens back on its lens cap is easy enough.

As long as the people who don't worry about caps do not sell their used lenses on ebay and describe them as mint, but then you hold it up to the light and it's loaded with internal dust. Then, they're ok with me, lol.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Today I cleaned my sensor with Digital survival Kit. Very good results. And after I tryed to do it by myself Idon't see any reasons to do it in service center.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I recently saw a video by Jasmine Star where she would do roughly the same thing using a hip bag for the lenses. No caps, just swapping the lenses back and forth as needed during a wedding. I saw the forum light up with critical comments of how could she ever do that, and no professional would ever do that. Hmmmmm, she makes $10,000 just to show up for a wedding is making a massive 6 figure income from her wedding photography (she books between 20 and 23 weddings a year and that is all she wants to book). I felt vindicated when I saw the video. Sure sometimes I get a little dust, but nothing that my brush is not able to brush off.

Sounds like she probably buys new lenses for each wedding!! :D

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I cleaned my D80 sensor this morning with a wet kit, it does most of the spots, but there are still some faint spots, but only if you look VERY carefully on a shot taken to expose such spots.

Incidentally, if there is anyone in the UK, preferably SW who needs a good sensor clean, I can thoroughly recommend Black & White Camera Repairs in Bristol. They offer mail order repairs, and 2 hour sensor cleans by appointment.

I took my D40 in, went to the Mall for food and collected later. A very good service, better than I can do, at a very good price.

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

Here are a couple interesting articles that will sort of help to understand why I don't get uber freaky when changing lenses. If they can get images that look like the ones posted out of lenses that are THAT messed then a few dust spots are nothing to worry about. ;-)

Dirty lens article

Lens Rentals | Blog

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

I often change between lenses on the move just got to be careful with what you are doing take your time don't rush!

Align your markings on both lens and body to ensure correct alignment when fitting.

Use whatever you can to shield from wind blowing dust or moisture around.

Turn the camera off, as this will help eliminate any static caused by the sensor therefore reducing the risk of more dust getting in

try and replace lens with the camera facing down as gravity always goes down :) facing up is going to head you into trouble quick smart with contamination.

keep a blower and cloth with you in a bag incase there is slight dust that can be removed :)

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I just look at the markings and try to do it fast, but not so fast that I bugger anything up. 

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Thats a great idea Mark, I would also say that if your camera bag, backpack or any other type of carrying gear is jkept clean and free of dirt then placing the lens in without a cap should be fine. i do it (not all the time) and when i have...I dont find my lens dusty, smeared, dirty or otherwise. a light use of my blower is enough to remove any partacles from the glass.

I would also say that I use Tony's method, i.e using the bag to rest my camera facing up, take one lens off then place the new one on. Now that I have both my 3100 and 7100 my plan is to take both out with different lens attached, that way i just pull the required body and lens out and snap away. Happy days.

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

I just do the best that I can with the conditions that are presented. But I don't worry about it a whole lot. I'm the guy floating down the river in a canoe trying to change lenses or walking across a wind blown beach while changing lenses. If a change needs to be made to get the shot then I'm going to change no matter what is going on.