Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coolpix 800 resurrected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Probity

Probity

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Good lord, this is a blast from the past. I'm hoping there might be someone here that remembers these cameras and might be able to help me.

This was my first ever digital camera, bought second-hand in the early noughties for (from memory) about £300. I've just got it out from the drawer and it has a 16MB (yes megabyte - remember them?) Compact Flash card. I fitted some new batteries and it's working a treat. (I need it to take a whole bunch of low-ish resolution photos of models that I'm hoping to sell soon.)

My first simple question is what the maximum storage size of CF card I can use?

The second point relates to its software. While I was googling away on the CF size question, I tripped over some notice that there was an upgrade available from V1.0 to V1.1. My camera is V1.0 so could (should?) be upgraded. The problem is that the instructions relate to serial ports (!) Is the updated software still available and how might I install it now rather than 20 years ago in the days when USB was a dream.

Thanks, Peter

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As it can handle cards larger than 16 MB, the next limit is the FAT16 one at 2 GB.

You should be able to update the firmware using a CF card reader. Just remember to put the file itself at the root level of the card, not in a folder.

Card readers were expensive back then and some genius at Nikon might have recommended putting the camera in Mass storage mode and use it as a card reader... Do you think you need the update? I think it mostly relates to white balance.

Probity

Probity

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

As it can handle cards larger than 16 MB, the next limit is the FAT16 one at 2 GB.

You should be able to update the firmware using a CF card reader. Just remember to put the file itself at the root level of the card, not in a folder.

Card readers were expensive back then and some genius at Nikon might have recommended putting the camera in Mass storage mode and use it as a card reader... Do you think you need the update? I think it mostly relates to white balance.

Thanks for the steer on the maximum card size. 

The document I read NIKON COOLPIX 800 DIGITAL CAMERA PRODUCT SUPPORT BULLETIN | ManualsLib says "Improvement in white balance control in fixed aperture modeIf you select AE Lock mode in manual white balance mode, the image sometimes becomes green. This problem has been solved."

I suppose that if I avoid that circumstance, I won't have a problem. Given that the Nikon cable plugs into a serial port and the document only mentions Windows 98SE(!) I thing that trying to upgrade it on a W10 system could be a perilous enterprise. I just have this thing that (usually) I prefer to have the latest version of software.

Mind you, I'm not sure I can find the upgrade to download it so it's all academic anyway.