Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens autofocus and flash not communicating - HELP

d7000 sigma neewer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

justanotherphotog

justanotherphotog

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't know where to start in order to solve this problem in the short term. I tried searching but did not see this scenario addressed.

I've been using my D7000 with Sigma 8-16MM lens, with attached (hotshoe) Neewer flash for about 3.5 years.

Everything was working fine, the flash was acting up a year or so ago, so Neewer sent me a replacement and I had also ordered a new one in the meantime as I needed it for work.

So now I have 2 identical Neewer flashes and everything was working fine. A few months ago, the autofocus was sporadically not working. I would have to try autofocus 2-3 times before it would focus. Other times, it worked fine and the lighting situations were not very different at all.

About a month ago, I did some experimenting to try and find the problem. The camera and lens have NO problem with autofocus in any lighting situation with the flash setting OFF. So I thought maybe it was the flash unit I was using, so I switched to the identical Neewer flash. Same thing. About half the time, autofocus will not work. I was having to rotate the camera on the tripod to get autofocus, then swivel camera back and press button all the way to get the photo.

It seems to be getting worse and I just came from a very frustrating photo shoot. If the camera will not autofocus on its own, I have to turn flash off, then no problem with autofocus, holding button halfway down and turning flash back on with other hand, THEN get the shot.

I had to turn the flash off and back on about 10 times on this shoot. I can't go on like this....

Lens and camera are set to AF and like I said, this problem started after a long period of working absolutely fine. I also looked at hotshoe and it does not appear to be dirty or damaged. My next step is trying the flash on a remote tripod. The problem is I can only try this at home and the camera doesn't always have this autofocus issue. Only when it's most inconvenient, of course!

Is it a Nikon D7000 issue?

Sigma issue?

Flash issue?

Thanks in advance.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have no idea where your problem is, but you can eliminate the holding half-pressed part by moving AF activation to the af-on button. Rear button focus works better in most situations anyway...

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

I have had AF problem once with a Sigma 17-70 with very low battery, but from what you describe that is probably not the case.

The only other thing I could think of is since you're using flash the light is probably low. Is the AF assist light functioning properly?

justanotherphotog

justanotherphotog

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I have had AF problem once with a Sigma 17-70 with very low battery, but from what you describe that is probably not the case.

The only other thing I could think of is since you're using flash the light is probably low. Is the AF assist light functioning properly?

Since I'm new here, I don't know how to reply directly without quoting...

I am experiencing this in all lighting situations, not just low light. I will have to check into the AF assist light function though. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Go down to the bottom of the pages where it says "Reply to this topic" and there will be a box there to enter your reply.  Perhaps cleaning contacts would help although I don't think that is the issue.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Does the camera work as it should with another lens but the same flash active?

Did you update any firmware in the same timeframe as the problems started?

Could you borrow a Nikon speedlight and see if the problem is there with an original flash?

Cleaning all contacts (lens- and flash-) with De-OxIt Gold will probably not help, but it is a good habit to get into anyway as even gold-plated contacts get an insulating film on them over time.

justanotherphotog

justanotherphotog

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Sorry it's been so long without a check in. The AF assist is not available with this lens. Only available with 24mm-90mm. Mine is 8-16, UWA.

Having the issue in all lighting condtions and even with no flash in a dark room, autofocus still works fine.

justanotherphotog

justanotherphotog

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Does the camera work as it should with another lens but the same flash active?

Did you update any firmware in the same timeframe as the problems started?

Could you borrow a Nikon speedlight and see if the problem is there with an original flash?

Cleaning all contacts (lens- and flash-) with De-OxIt Gold will probably not help, but it is a good habit to get into anyway as even gold-plated contacts get an insulating film on them over time.

Here's what I've tried since original post - 

Attempted to create same scenario at home where I have time and resources to experiment. Failed. I took about 50 photos inside the house, dark rooms, light rooms, walls with no discernible features. Nothing. Worked fine every single time!

I was hoping to try the flash on a tripod with wireless control and see if separating the two helped them get along better. haha

This seems to be the most important component to being able to solve this - recreating the issue. It seems to happen at the most inconvenient times, usually when the client is there looking over my shoulder. Ugh. 

Today, I tried the same lens and flash with my newer Nikon D5600 but experienced no issues.

2. I have not updated any firmware since I purchased the camera. I've read pros and cons of doing this, so after I discovered the obvious connection between the flash and lens, I discarded the thought of doing any firmware updates. Now that I know my UWA lens will work for sure with the D5600, maybe I will try the firmware update? Thoughts on firmware updates???

3. I don't know anyone with a Nikon speedlight. And unfortunately, cannot afford to purchase one. I'll ask my drone guy though - maybe he has one laying around.

4. I wiped all contacts but really did not see any dirt at all. :-( 

So, after all this, I had a shoot a few days later and it was going pretty good then I got to the master bedroom with plenty of light and items to focus on, and I spent 10 mins just trying to get this shot (attached). It would NOT focus.

Then it occurred to me maybe I accidently changed a setting or something, so this morning I pulled out the manual and went through all the AF settings and everything seems to be in order. Damn this is frustrating. I have a shoot coming up in a couple days but I will have a crowd so I won't be able to experiment. 

Next steps:

1. When next event happens, remove flash from camera, mount on tripod and use wireless remote.

2. If that doesn't work, change lens, attach flash and see what happens.

3. If THAT doesn't work, remove flash from camera, mount on tripod and use wireless remote.

4. Firmware??? Or should I try this first? I believe I need to have a full battery for that and my shoot isn't until Thursday so I should have time to complete?

Thanks!

7-Master bedroom-WINDOW-1.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Just wiping the contacts doesn't do much. If you clean them, both on the camera, lens and flash, with DeOxit Gold and follow the instructions on the bottle, you will have eliminated oxides on the contacts as a problem.

What version is your firmware? The current set is A:Ver.1.04/B:Ver.1.05, last updated on 2014/08/26. If you use Nikon lenses that are newer than your body, getting the updated distortion control data is a worthwhile update. If not, just leave well alone.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Peter, just a quick question about firmware updates. Do they have to be applied in sequence, or can you jump to the latest version if you've never updated your firmware previously? I don't think that Nikon keeps any but the newest version of a camera's firmware on their site.

As far as the OP's question... about the only thing I can think of is a battery that's starting to fail. If it's the battery that came with the camera it may be old enough that it's due for replacement. I would check the "age" of the battery in the battery menu and see what it says. But otherwise, I donno.

I agree tho, about switching to Back Button Focus. It can take some getting used to but once you do it quickly becomes second nature and gives you much more control of your AF function.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Peter, just a quick question about firmware updates. Do they have to be applied in sequence, or can you jump to the latest version if you've never updated your firmware previously? I don't think that Nikon keeps any but the newest version of a camera's firmware on their site.

--Ron

AFAIK, you can skip earlier versions, unless there are two versions up at the download site. Sometimes the A and B versions need to be updated before you update C. The D7000 is one of those. This is because they changed the format for the distortion correction at a later date than the introduction of the camera.
  • Ron likes this

justanotherphotog

justanotherphotog

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm really starting to think it's the lens. Everything else works perfectly until it doesn't. The only time it happens is with flash attached to hotshoe, and then only sporadically. Well, actually I don't know that for sure, I haven't had opportunity to try using flash on a tripod instead and see if that makes a diff)

Revision to the next step - at next event the first thing I'll try is removing the flash and using built-in flash. I'm almost positive it will work fine but of course I can't use those photos due to the length of the lens. There is some weird correlation between the flash and the lens which makes no freaking sense when it comes to autofocus. At least not to me.  :(

Then I will try the flash on a tripod with remote control.

I've recently read about issues with Sigma lenses and autofocus. 

Of course the lens is out of warranty. 

I think I will try to limp along with some band-aid fixes when it happens in the field and research lenses. I may send it for repair, if even possible, but I'll have to have a back-up UWA for use. I will look again on Lens Depot for something to rent, but I didn't see anything that would work with the D7000. 

I've never updated firmware... :blink:

Thanks to all - if you think of anything else or have more to add, please do - much appreciated. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d7000, sigma, neewer