Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photographer wins a $1.2M Lawsuit for stolen images

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

A ways back we had a discussion going about images being lifted from the net and used without the photographer's permission. Here's the most recent case of a photographer's re-tweeted images being lifted from Twitter and used by a major outlet and new agency... he sued and won $1.2 million dollars. Apparently they didn't even take the images from his account directly, they nabbed them from someone else's repost...

http://www.slrlounge...se-getty-images

The worlds of social media and image copyright collided Friday when a judge ordered two media companies to pay $1.2 million to photographer Daniel Morel. The images of the 2010 devastating earthquakes in Haiti were taken from the photojournalist’s Twitter account and used without his authorization by both the Agence France-Presse and Getty Images.

Furthermore, if you are worried about your online image's copywrites:

Why is This Relevant?

This ruling provides insight into the highly debated question of who owns images posted publicly to social media services like Twitter; and moreover, whether they can be used for commercial purposes by third parties.

The short answer is “no.”

While users can embed tweets with photos and retweet photos, these images cannot be downloaded and used commercially, even if they are taken from a “retweet” and not directly from the original user’s account.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Interesting case for sure.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Need to keep tabs on my images. I do copyright and inner watermarks but you just never know.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Very interesting and I hear folk talking about copyright markings, do you have to register that somewhere or the fact that you have the watermark or name is sufficient?

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I see the TV news here showing photos and saying "From Facebook" or whatever. I often think that they are breaking copyright law. Hopefully they will use one of mine one day!

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I see them "getting away" with doing it by showing you a screen shot of the entire Facebook post and then cropping into just the image. Occasionally I'll hear them credit the person who posted or re-tweeted the image just for a little extra cushioning.

Jay

Jay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag

Crazy.  If I'm able to sue for that much, I hope some big corp steals my images :) .  Nice story.

Adamwesleyo

Adamwesleyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I should probably start watermarking mine better.