Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can someone tell me if I'm being crazy or this camera is defective?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

junecg

junecg

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I purchased Nikon d7500 from a third party retailer on Amazon recently, but due to corona virus I didn't have a chance to test the camera until yesterday. I found serious issues:

1. The camera froze frequently when playing back images. The picture froze on the touch screen and it didn't respond to any more actions. Even turning the camera off, the image was still displayed. I had to remove the battery many times to resolve this issue.
2. When transferring image to my Mac through photo app, almost 1/3 of the images turned out half greyed. Please see attached. It looked like many images were not properly taken or loaded but I have used the same setting on all of them.
3. When playing back images on camera, many images I can't zoom in on. There is an error message saying this file cant be zoomed in.
I have been using Nikon d3200 for five years and experienced no above issues at all. Could someone let me know if you too think this is a camera problem?

Note: I have the impression that Amazon is trustworthy but buying from a third party on Amazon with an accessary bundle might not be a good idea. The deal was great on Amazon with one 30-700mm lease, many filters, flash and so on. The price is overall $1200 which is not bad at all for a d7500 body with factory lens, not mentioning all the accessaries. But I guess I learned my lesson here.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Have you tried another card? Was the card(s) formatted in the camera?

If it isn't a matter of memory cards, it is time to start the warranty process. Is the camera intended for the US market or a grey import?

wildwilli

wildwilli

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

If it isn't memory cards that are not really compatible then I'd say you got a bum deal.  If the camera is still in warranty status try to send it back for that if possible.  There is a Repair Shop in San Diego that I am friends with the owner for many years problem is he as with all other former Authorized repair centers have lost that designation.  He is as honest as you can get.  Kurts Camera Repair you can see him on Facebook.  I just sent on of my cameras there and it's stuck there for the Corona Duration.    

Gary B

Gary B

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

set it back to factory settings,

update the firmware.

format the card ONLY by the camera,

if you format the card all ready then put some thing on it and format it with the camera,

i think if its blank the camera is really not formatting the card,

for a test and i know you watch the image but turn OFF auto focus.

get biggiest memory card and make sure it can handle high speed like for 4K.

MY P1000 FROZE on me when i got it now it doesn't

IlMoro

IlMoro

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Everything seems to point that the problem resides on the memory card. Which brand, model and size it is?

Try to use a well-known one like SanDisk. I always used SanDisk Extreme all all my devices and never had a problem.

junecg

junecg

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you all for your input and time! I have bought a new memory card SanDisk Extreme and I just tested out. All of the issues are gone! It looks like the seller is trying to keep the bundle price low by substituting a bad memory card. But I'm glad that it is not the camera issue.

Gary B

Gary B

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

It looks like the seller is trying to keep the bundle price low by substituting a bad memory card.

al most all company's do