Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens upgrade for D3400 or new camera

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

99thRevolution

99thRevolution

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

So, I have the D3400 and for the most part, I love it.  I've had other cameras in the past, but this my first DSLR.  Lately, I've been contemplating either buying a new lens or a new camera.  I practice photography mainly as a hobby,and I feel I have not been getting the shots I'd like with the D3400 kit lenses. 

I really enjoy nature photography, and one of the issues I have is the subject not being in focus.  Everything else around it is, just not what I want.  This is usually an issue with bird photography.  I've tried different settings on my camera, so it could be an issue there too. 

I've been eyeing up the Nikon AF-s DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3g ED and it comes with a hefty price tag. I'm wondering if it's worth it, since it is more expensive than the camera itself. 

Thanks you :)

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
If focssuing is the issue then I’d suggest start changing your settings on focussing, before considering to buy a new lens or camera (even so that may help, too)

Eventually use the A (Aperture priority) mode and start with an aperture of 8.
After having pressed the i-button to enter the D3400 menus, choose

- set ISO to 400 (to not penalize the shutter speed, while not having noise (btw you might also experiment to increase the value progressively))
- set AF to AF-C for birds
- set AF area mode to single point or dynamic area

In single point AF you will see one of the dots (focuspoints) in the viewfinder to light up, each time you press the shutter button softly. This is where the camera will focus and this point should therefore be exactly on the bird you want to be in focus.

As mentioned above, this is one way of working using the equipment (btw what lens do you have) that you have. Changing the camera and/or lens may bring extra benefits, but will be costly depending on what choices you make. [/i]

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

It is hard to tell what issue or issues you are having from your post.  Leaving out the question of body or lens for right now, we will come back to that after we get a better idea of what the problem is and how the problem can be fixed.  That will help you and the rest of us determine where (if anywhere) your equipment is lacking.

You indicate a focus issue on the subject but the rest of the frame is in focus.  Can you post an example with your EXIF data (aperture, shutter, ISO)?  I am guessing it is a subject movement issue or a focus issue.  AF-C is really a requirement when you are shooting a moving target.  Making sure that target is being focused on (as opposed to a different part of the frame) with single point or dynamic area as Jerry suggested above.  On the speed side, how fast was the shutter speed?  Flight speed and wing speed (flapping) can vary from bird to bird so you will want to set a fast shutter speed or test to find the slowest shutter speed before movement shows up.