Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Back when they advertized on T.V.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

krag96

krag96

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag

When the camera manufacturers came into our living rooms and presented their latest consumer cameras in the last century,  Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta, Kodak, Polaroid, and others on our T.V. sets during the evening news with Walter Cronkite.  They sold cameras and dreams, they even tried to convince the public with Fashion Models, (Cindy Crawford for Olympus), Paul Simon wrote and preformed the song, "Kodachrome" intentional or not, the song did help boost sales at Nikon, many Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen came home with a Nikon they bought at the P.X. on Okinawa, Japan while on R&R from Vietnam.  If it wasn't a Nikon, it wasn't a camera!

When Canon introduced the AE-1 Program via a T.V. ad, the wife had to have one!  An SLR that did the thinking for you, all you had to do to get good pictures was focus and shoot!  She convinced me to buy one, so we made the trek to, "Letts Camera Shop" in Lemoyne, PA. where we bought the AE-1 with an f1.8 50mm lens, Vivitar flash, 70ish-200 zoom lens, some film, and a bag to carry it all in.  I think the entire bill was under $400. including a free, get started lesson in the shop and some booklets. 

Minolta probably had the most irritating ad which ended with, "Only from the mind of Minolta..."  I don't think it did em much good as they always ranked far behind Nikon and Canon. 

What do you think, has the camera industry been lax in getting the word out via T.V. lately?  I'm just an old guy who doesn't think of a camera in a phone unless some slaps me up-side the head and reminds me, (and yeah, I got one, but rarely use it). 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Much of the glamor surrounding photography is gone. Today anyone with a phone is a photographer. No knowledge of the art and science of photography needed... indeed, it's often regarded as an unnecessary complication. Let the app worry about that stuff. Personally, and this may be a fault on my part, but I find phone cameras awkward. 

I think that many of the camera companies have adopted an attitude of letting the potential customer come to them and spend most of their advertising budget on photography magazines and websites. I won't go so far as to say they've given up on TV but I do think that they've become wary of spending large sums of money because the return on investment just isn't there anymore. This is probably true of film as well. Didn't always be that way tho. I sometimes wonder if Nikon would have ever become the company it did if not for the film "Blow Up".

I used to use Minoltas and you better not talk nasty about them.... :P

--Ron

krag96

krag96

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Country Flag

Perhaps the glamor is gone, but not the art.  I've experienced some "looks" while afield with various cameras either doing shots of something not usually seen as "photo worthy" or the particular camera itself.  Try being out in public with an old wooden 8x10" camera once!  And yes, it was fully functional and taking some B&W pictures with it.  Laying on your back on the marble floor of the Pennsylvania Memorial at Gettysburg getting a shot of the inner bronze dome, people look at you like, "Huh?  That?  What-ever...''  It's actually quite beautiful.  It's fun in a way out in public with a SLR/DSLR, people pull their kids back, "Don't get in the man's way.  Can't you see he's working."  Being out and about with a real camera these days can be interesting, "they'' assume you're a pro on a job, even with the most basic of cameras. 

Camera phones being awkward is an understatement!  I've used mine in the strictest basic form, that is put it on camera and fumble to find the place where you press it to take the picture and that's about it.  I forget the device has a camera in it most of the time. 

Yeah, Minolta over-ran that ad even though they may have been ahead of the game in the tech dept. we called em, "camputers" and now look at us! :lol: