Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I'm hungry!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I still consider myself a beginner with a DSLR, a Nikon D5500.  My experience with film was with two Canon F1n's.  I like the D5500 and don't plan on abandoning it.  It's a great camera for walking around and taking shots and casual videos. 

Now that I've got a computer that supports Affinity photo shop I'm now hungry for a more serious Nikon for astrophotography and portraits, so weight isn't a consideration, and I've only got one DX lens.  The others being FX I use on the D5500.  Now, I've gone over the specs and my budget many times and the Nikon that seems to come out is the D800/D800E in gently used condition.  Others on my short list would include, D7200, (about the same price new as a nice used D800E)- D750 (more than a Nice used D800E)- D810, (much more than a nice used D800E). 

The question is, Is the D800/D800E still a good and viable choice with Expeed 3 processor?  I don't recall off hand what the FPS is with the Canon F1n motor drive, but it was enough for what I shot with them. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The D5500 and the D7200 are both DX bodies (crop sensor).  All the others you mentioned are FX bodies.  If you want FX, that would rule out the D7200 which is an excellent camera.  It is a close second to the D500 for a pro-sumer DX body.  If you go FX, you will want to get at least one FX lens to use even though the DX lens will function.  You have a nice selection of FX bodies listed.  The D800 and D810 did not have a very fast FPS but they should be more than sufficient for astro and portrait photography.  They will have larger files than the others you have listed which can be a problem if you are tight on disk space.  All of the cameras you mentioned can give you wonderful images.  Two FX bodies you didn't mention are the new D780 and the D850 - might be out of the price range you are considering but worth a look.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D800(E) isn't the best choice for certain types of astro photo as the sensor is prone to long exposure noise and blooming. An old D3X would be better, as would a D750 or D810. Another body worth considering is the Df.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have some FX lens's I use on the D5500, a Favorite being the Tamron 272E 90mm Macro f2.8.  I didn't mention it, but I did consider a D3/D3s.  I've seen some great portraits shot with D3's and though they're a 12MP sensor, they seem capable of fantastic wall size enlargements.  The D750 I can't understand why they're priced as high as they are with the D780 now available, (maybe it takes some time...)  anyway a D750 I would buy new for under $1,000 apposed to used, (excellent) at just under $900.  Yeah, I do price shop, I'm retired.  Lastly the D7200, I come back to it every so often because I like it's features, it's the only DX body on my list.  Does it share the same sensor as the D500? 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The 7200 sensor is different from the D500. If you want the 20 MP D500 sensor in a prosumer rather than in a small pro body, you have to get the D7500 and live with its lower spec than its predecessors.The reason the D7200 is so pro-like is that there was no new pro DX body on the horizon in 2015.

The D750 holds it value as it is wrongly seen as a parallel to the D7200/D7500 situation. The only thing lost with the D780 is the provision for a grip, it is still compatible with Ai lenses and it still has two card slots.

The old 12 MP sensor was ahead of its time, but the D7200 has a similar S/N ratio and slightly better DR.

You could rethink what you need and look into getting a used D7200 for astro and an old D700 for portraiture. I don't know the US market that well, but here this would be in the same ballpark as a D800E.

I would also suggest checking out the Df. You will probably like most of the ergonomics, coming from the F1n. It is definitely the cheapest way to get a D4 sensor, and as the Ai tab can be flipped out of the way, it is more suited to use with T2 adapters than any other high-end digital Nikon.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

In the U.S. market the D7200 in excellent gently used condition can be had at under $600, a D700 is tough to find in above Very good condition with a low shutter count, but even in better condition, less than $500. 

The DF I hadn't mentioned because of the reviews I've read, (not that they're bad) they simply write the DF up as a "nostalgic" DSLR suited mostly to people who would want a DSLR that operates like a film camera.  The vast number of used DF's here are in excellent+ condition with very low shutter count priced at around $1,300. It seems they're bought for the nostalgia and soon traded for more modern features.  I'll agree, they're a bargain at $1,300 price range.  I may reconsider one.

Image quality trumps everything.  When shooting The F1n's with B&W film when lighting permitted, I loaded Kodak ASA 32 film and when their EKTAR line of color film I remember the fellows at the camera shop giving me a roll of my choice.  I chose the ASA 25 which these guys were printing good quality poster size prints with 35mm cameras, something usually left to 6X6 or larger format.  Kodak still makes it, but only in ASA 100 now. I haven't seen the old 32 ASA B&W film in some years though.

A lot has changed since my active days of shooting film, I guess what I'm after is a Nikon DSLR body that will give the ''EKTAR'' quality prints, (which I think any 12MP DSLR can probably do, if you've shot EKTAR film you know the fine grain, vivid color, sharpness, and high saturation).  With the Canon lens's I have and using EKTAR almost any Canon body would do from an AV to an F1n.  Now it seems to all be in the body with a good lens. What we couldn't even do in the dark room is now easy for any child to accomplish in camera with a few buttons!  It's amazing what any DSLR can do!  I've done things with my D5500 that weren't even a fantasy with a film camera.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Merco_61, I did my own digging and research and came to a very similar conclusion you have, a D700 package is in the works.  After looking deep, it seems the best digital version of a Canon F1n or Nikon F3 available.  I've thought since going digital the 12MP sensor to be a nearly perfect match for portraits in the FX line, though not ideal for heavy cropping.  The one I'm looking at comes with 17,000 shutter count, all original packaging, extra batteries, extended battery grip, a bunch of other small stuff, and best of all, a Nikor 50mm f1.4G manual focus prime lens.

I already have a Tamron 272E 90mm f2.8 Macro FX lens.  I'll add a prime wide angle lens and a nice prime telephoto and be all set. 

I'll look into a D7200 later.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Merco_61, I did my own digging and research and came to a very similar conclusion you have, a D700 package is in the works.  After looking deep, it seems the best digital version of a Canon F1n or Nikon F3 available.  I've thought since going digital the 12MP sensor to be a nearly perfect match for portraits in the FX line, though not ideal for heavy cropping.  The one I'm looking at comes with 17,000 shutter count, all original packaging, extra batteries, extended battery grip, a bunch of other small stuff, and best of all, a Nikor 50mm f1.4G manual focus prime lens.

I already have a Tamron 272E 90mm f2.8 Macro FX lens.  I'll add a prime wide angle lens and a nice prime telephoto and be all set. 

I'll look into a D7200 later.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Is the 50 a G lens or manual focus? The G version is AF-S.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It's a/f.  I misread the ad, they listed the lens manual, (paper booklet) as included on a different line.