Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking for specific feature set in a camera.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

DoYouLikeHam

DoYouLikeHam

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi - I’ve a D5100, and looking to get a different camera due to lacking features. I have a handful of lenses, so Ideally, something would be compatible w/ what I have.

Ideal features:
1. From MacBook, be able to start and stop recording video.
2. Without having to remove the SD card, I’d like to transfer recorded video files to the MacBook. since video files can be quite large, I *think* over USB or ethernet would be best, but WiFi may be an option.. I’ve not done the math to figure out how long this would take for a typical session.
3. Recording of video is to camera SD (NOT to app on MacBook, like a web cam)... I’ll be using the MacBook for audio recording, and thus, want to conserve those resources.
4. Camera can remain plugged in to power (I’d like to avoid having to recharge batteries)... this is primarily for a fixed location installation.

If #1 is not possible, I could settle for starting/stopping the recording from an iOS device (iPad or iPhone).

Thanks for any suggestions.. e.g., perhaps if I know of one camera that did the above, I’d have a better idea of what search terms Nikon (or others) use to describe these things. Thus far, I feel like i’m looking for a unicorn.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Wouldn't a camcorder handle your requirements better than a stills camera with some video features added as an afterthought?

If you want to go with a DSLR or MILC, Canon and Panasonic are both more video oriented than Nikon. I understand what you want to do and don't think any Nikon is the right tool for the job, even if you find a tethering solution for video.

I think I would go with a WiFi capable camcorder and a separate sound recorder such as a Zoom of some kind and synchronize time stamps between the devices to add the sound in post, rather than using a computer to record the sound. Run the sound continuous and control the cam from a phone or tablet. 

DoYouLikeHam

DoYouLikeHam

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks for the pointers on the camera vs camcorder. I really have no idea if one or the other would suit me better.. don’t know much about either. I’ll look further beyond Nikon.

As for audio, I’m recording Into Pro Tools through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface, which is doing the job just fine :).