Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Multiple exposures.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

I selected “Multiple Exposure” in both my Z 7 and D850, and 2 exposures for each of the Overlay Modes - “Add, Average, Lighten and Darken”. My impression of the instructions was that I could see the actual overlay effects in the Z 7 viewfinder. Not so.

I could see the two superimposed images alright, but the actual combined image was much different. It seemed that the filter effects are applied to the multiple images AFTER the last shot has been taken, or am I doing something wrong? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag
So far I haven’t used the overlay mode.

What formats are your individual exposures? If Raw then this would be the reason.

The picture having the combined exposures is a JPEG, so the overlay can be added during the in-camera processing.

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag
Yes I was shooting in RAW. I'll try jpeg and see how that works. Thanks for the tip.

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

One of the options in Multiple Exposures is using an existing NEF image as the first shot. I tried shooting a jpeg as the second shot and that didn't work. I tried combining two jpegs and that didn't work. It seems that the filter is applied to multiple shots after the last image has been taken. In other words, you can't see the Multiple Exposure filter effects in the viewfinder, as you shoot. Unfortunately, this could hamper the photographer's composition of the final image... especially if you wanted to combined more than two images. Too bad.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i own Z6 and never tried that and you showing me new things to learn. i hear it works great but never tried it.