Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Catastrophic error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Rylaina

Rylaina

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I took a ton of photos at my uncles funeral today and while transferring them to my pc from my camera I got a catastrophic error message and now my photos are gone from both the camera and the computer. Is there any chance at all to recover them?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
The first thing to do is to NOT use the SD card before doing any rescue operation, as otherwise any still existing information might be overwritten.

(The same would apply for the PC, but here it would probably be more difficult, as you will need to use it), so the SD card is the piece of hardware that we can better isolate.

Btw have you checked the PC (Windows/OSX) Trashbin to check whether the files are not there?

Next is to get a file recovery software, which will try to recover whatever it still can (deleted files removed from the bin are usually not physically destroyed, but most of the time the space they used are made available for reuse, therefore they can still be recovered)

One piece of such software is SanDisks Rescue Pro, for which you get often a free licence key valid to use it for one year, when buying a new SanDisk Pro card. ( SanDisk RescuePRO & RescuePRO Deluxe - LC Technology ). But you might also just buy a licence of this or other similar software.

Next is to follow the steps that the software will ask you to proceed.

Good luck.

+++++++

Could you also explain what exactly happened for loosing files both on the SD card and the harddisk, as usually not both are lost.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

First thing i would do is put the card in reader,if its windows 10 go to disk management and see if it shows as a disk, right-click and choose open, see what's in it.

Overlander

Overlander

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

FOR message in control panel

I have 2 800s and an 850.

Today I loaned an 800 to my partner and after hundreds of shots she got a FOR message. She was using the CF card]. BOTH cards were blank. Now at home I searched both cards and they were empty but the SD card said it was not formatted. I think I will turf the SD card but am wondering what went wrong as I have never had a card fail.