Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Minimum Shutterspeed with Auto Iso

auto-iso shutter speed available light

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

th33l3x

th33l3x

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, I have a pretty specific question here:

I am shooting with a Nikon D7100 (currently with a 35mm 2.0 which will become a 1.8 soon hopefully), and because I mostly shoot people in motion and with available light (I'm not a fan of flash), I don't have time to adjust my settings constantly, but at the same time I want to have some control.

This has led me to the following set-up: apperture-priority (changing apperture manually) + auto-iso that kicks in at a shutterspeed of 1/80  and goes up to 1600 iso.

So my apperture is fixed, auto-shutter-speed goes down to 1/80th, then auto-iso kicks in until iso 1250 (while shutter stays at 1/80), and after that, the shutter-speed continues to go down with ISO at 1250. I finetune my exposure with +/i exposure correction.

And here the problem: I'd rather underexpose shots than go below 1/80 shutterspeed. Is there a way to set a general maximum shutterspeed for the camera?

For clarity: when you shoot with shutter priority, your apperture opens to the max (2.0 in this case) and then the camera starts underexposing because shutter speed is fixed and the apperture CAN'T open any wider. The problem is that shutterspeed can go infinitely slow.

So my ideal set-up would be: apperture-priority (auto shutter speed with fixed aperture) + auto-iso kicking in at 1/80 (or whatever I set the bound to) and going up to ISO 1600, and then the camera should start underexposing pics rather than lowering the shutter speed any further. Under-exposed images tend to be much more save-able than ones with motion-blur.

Sorry for the long read, and thanks for any tips!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auto-iso, shutter speed, available light