Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wide Angle lens

wide angle lens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

cerrense

cerrense

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and not really a 'pro' photographer. 

I'm a globetrotter though and would like to start using a wide angle lens for landscapes and such.

Can I have a recommendation of a solid good range wide angle lens for my D750 (FM camera) without necessarily having to break the bank?

Thanks for any input!!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 18-35 Nikkor is hard to beat as a travel WA zoom, but the 16-35 feels more solid in use and is weather sealed. The Tamrons, both the current 17-35 and the 15-30 are nice lenses if your raw converter can correct the distortion at the widest focal lengths.

The Tamron 15-30 needs an expensive filter holder and even more expensive 150 mm filters, the others have a 77 mm filter thread.

The current Sigma Art WA zooms get good reviews, but I haven't used them.

The Tokina 16-28 has softish edges and lots of CA, even if the Opera version is better than the earlier ones.

If I was looking for a travel wide angle zoom, I would go with one of the Nikkors over the third-party offerings. The 18-35 balances well on a D750 without a grip, but it feels less well-built than the 16-35 and isn't as nice on a gripped body. Less mass and cheaper vs better feel, your choice.

If the mass and bulk doesn't make you leave it at home, a used 14-24 or a new G2 Tamron 15-30 might be worth considering.

Lonnie

Lonnie

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
I have the Nikon 18-35 mm. It is a breathtaking lens when used correctly. I understand the desire to keep the cost down. I paid $525.00 for it a few months ago. Then 5 weeks ago I found a 35-105 mm lens on eBay for $44.00. It is an older film camera lens. But it works on digital cameras.