Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Updating equipment and need help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

VetteGuy

VetteGuy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a D80 that's about 12-14 yrs old with a DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-200 3-5, AF_S NIKKOR 50 MM 1.8 and DX AF-S 17-55 2.8 G ED lens.......I'm looking at upgrading to either a D7500 or a D610........will my current lens work on either of these and will I have use of ALL the functions & capabilities?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The D7500 is a DX, (1.5 crop factor) body like your D80, so no problems there at all, your lenses should work the same.  The 610 is an FX, (full frame 1:1 crop factor 35mm =) body, your DX lenses will certainly mount and function, but at 1.5 crop factor meaning only part of your sensor will be effective like cropping a photograph 1.5 x.  In other words, you're paying for a full frame body, but getting  crop frame results by using DX lenses on it.   

FX cameras are D3-D4-D5-D600-D610-D700-D750-D780-D800-D810-D850-DF.    

My opinion, if you want to upgrade your camera, but use the lenses you have then go with a D7200, D7500, or a D500.  Of these three, I would probably buy the D7200.  You can go to dpreview.com and do side by side comparisons of all Nikon cameras to find the one that suits you best.

You can visit youtube for tutorials on this subject.  I like Tony and Chelsea Northrup's videos.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would also recommend going with the D7200 as you have mostly DX lenses. If you haven't tried your 17-55 on a body with a vertical grip, do so. It is much better balanced on a larger and slightly heavier body. The D7500 has no provision for mounting a grip.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The D7200 would be my choice as well over the D7500.  The D500 is the flagship of the DX line and definitely worth looking at, but probably not worth the extra cost over the D7200 unless you need some of its more updated features.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Since the majority of your glass is DX I would be motivated to stay with that type of camera.

I think for me it would be a toss up between the D500 and the D7200. The latter is more than adequate but I just love the feature set and ruggedness of the D500. If you have the extra cash and want a bit more future proof camera body, I'd buy the D500.

I own a D610 and it's a great camera. I have few complaints. However, if I were to replace it, I would not buy another D610 body. If I wanted to stay in the full frame camp it would either be a D850 (be still my heart), an D810 or a D750 in that order.

--Ron

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Coming from the D80 you will find any of the current cameras being a major improvement.

As 2 out of 3 of your lenses have been designed for DX only, I’d stay with a DX body if you want to continue using them. One point of attention might however be, how good the lenses will cope with the higher number of megapixels (D80 had 10MP, D7200/7500 have 24MP, D500 has 21MP).

As already mentioned by others, I would prefer in DX bodies a D7200 over a D7500 - but you might get either of the two packaged with a new (kit) lens (which could be your walk around lens)

As Ron mentioned, a D500 is an even better camera, not only for its technical features, but also for its ergonomics. But it has a different price tag.

If you plan to upgrade to an FX camera, I would go for a D750 rather than the older D610. Only one of your lenses will use the full number of Megapixels, the other two will be covering 45% of the sensor (so bringing you close to the current resolution in the D80). Again, if you go for that option, you might get the body with a lens (mostly the 24-120/4 which is a very nice walkaround lens), so you might be less bothered to continue using your older lenses.
But - if you plan to upgrade to FX - I would wait for an extra couple of months. With the D780 ( Nikon releases the D780 digital SLR camera | News | Nikon About Us ) looming around the corner, prices on the D750 will likely drop in some not so far future.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

If the OP intends to stay in the DX world, I'd recommend the D7500 unless having two card slots is a "must have" feature. Also, the overall DXO score for the D7200 is higher by one point (87 vs 86). That said, the D7500 has a newer processor (Expeed 5 vs 4), has faster continuous shooting (8 fps vs 6), higher max ISO (51200 vs 25600), is lighter (720g vs 765g), has a more versatile LCD screen (articulating/touch vs fixed/no touch), and records higher resolution video (4K UHD vs full HD).

Full disclosure: I own a D7500.