Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's your workflow?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Here is mine:

I use Photo Mechanic for DAM, Capture NX-D or NX-2 for raw conversions and PS CC for final edits.

1. Import the files to a landing zone, I call the folder Newly ingested.

2. Open the folder as a Contact sheet in Photo Mechanic. 

3. Rename files to my [signature]_[date]_[time]_[lens]mm format

4. Apply IPTC stationery.

5. Add keywords, titles, ratings and color classes.

6. Drag and drop to the folders where I want the files.

7. Do the adjustments I want in Capture.

8. Convert files to tiff and save in the same folder as the original.

9. Open the files that need more work in PS.

10. Edit in PS with the NIK plugins.

11. Sharpen for export with Sharpener PRO.

12. Save as PSD if I think I will need to work more on he file at a later date and export a copy in tiff format with a unique filename, again to the same folder as the original.

13. Update the IPTC with destinations for the final jpgs and export with the relevant resolution, colourspace and watermarks in Photo Mechanic.

14. Sync the folders I have worked in with the backups.

I have used Lightroom for years, but as I get so much better results with Capture for raw conversions and Photo Mechanic makes it so much easier to use structured keywords, I have come up with this workflow instead. 

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
1. Plug the SD card into the iPad and import any possibles.

2. Edit the possibles in Photogenie.

3. FTP the finished TIFFS to my server.

4. Upload the finished, watermarked JPG's to the destination, Facebook, Flickr, Dropbox, ZIPfile etc..

5. Monthly backups of the SD cards to the main PC and the server.

6. Format the SD cards just before the next shoot.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Interesting...I will have to give Capture NX-D a try...

For now, I have one of two workflows I normally use which are very similar...When I am dealing with a small # of images, I usually skip PhotoMechanic completely...it is very quick for an initial cull of images when I'm dealing with lots of images from an event that I need to get edited and posted (like 500+images).

• Insert card into reader and transfer to primary drive in my version of a folder structure so I can find files easily...
  • I then open the files in PhotoMechanic and mark the possible keepers...
  • No changes to those I keep (marked) but those that aren't keepers (un-marked) are moved to a sub-folder called Unused in case I want to review again...
  • Keepers imported into LightRoom with general key words...
  • I typically go through 2 passes in LR, first pass will identify the "real" keepers and may have a crop or tweak done to an image during the process...second pass completes the editing process and gives me a chance to review the keepers again - each gets a final rating...
  • Occasionally I will run a third pass on higher rated images to see if I'd like to do further processing or "creative" processing...
  • Export selected JPEG images to a second folder structure for processed images based on rating as needed for different purposes (posting to my web site, submitting for publication, sharing with friends / family) with the final export being all the keepers for posting to my web site...
  • Once finished, the new folders on my primary drive get backed up to multiple external drives - at least one drive gets a backup immediately...
  • Clean up Unused files after they are backed up...
  • Cards are typically formatted in camera when they are put back into the camera or after a backup of the folders...

There are certain situations where I specifically choose to modify that workflow for one or more reasons, but it seems to work pretty well for me...

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

I find 99% of the time I just use Lightroom.  Occasionally, I'll import to Photoshop or DXO filmpack or Nik tools, but all launched from Lightroom.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City
  • I use the card reader built into my PC to copy images to my PC. During that copy process I place files in different folders as appropriate. 
  • I then fire up Lightroom and import those images using one of a number of presets that add my copyright data, etc.
  • I then do a rough look through to eliminate bad images.... out of focus, flash misfires, etc... that may have been inadvertently copied. 
  • I then select batches of images to add keywords and/or captions as necessary. If the images have recognizable persons, I add them to the facial recognition database.
  • I then make my second pass to find and mark the best images in the group for further work in the develop module.
  • Next, I'll create virtual copies of the images I want to work on... sometimes I do this just before sending them to the develop module.
  • Next I'll work on the images in the develop module.
  1.      I correct crop first (if necessary)
  2.      Next I correct white balance and tone
  3.      If necessary, I then apply a post crop vignette
  4.      I then check for and eliminate chromatic aberration 
  5.      Lastly, I eliminate noise and sharpen the image
  • Next I take a snapshot of what I've done to the image.
  • If necessary, I take the image to Photoshop CC for further work.
  •      If work is necessary, I save the resulting image as a TIFF.
  • Back in Lightroom I may choose to export or print the image.
  • Drives are backed up once a week along with my Lightroom database.

--Ron

PS: that's pretty much from memory... I might have skipped a step here and there. Once I'm in work mode I have the blinders on and stuff just happens automagically.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

TBonz, why the move to a subfolder for the unused? Why not grade them using the blue, grey and none colour classes? Blue for nearly usable, grey for maybe usable and none for probably not usable. Then you can just hide them when grabbing the good ones into Lightroom. This system leaves you with six classes available for grouping on the keepers. This saves heaps of time when looking for something extra among the culled files as you can just sort on colour class to get them grouped together..

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yup, I know...I have thought about that but haven't gone that route yet since PM isn't really my prime tool - translated, I get in, select or not, move the unselected and get out...then I import the folder with the keepers from within LR...

I do mess around with PM from time to time to try other options...Maybe I will try with my next big event...And I use both stars and colors once I have them in LR to categorize in different ways...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Remember that you can initiate the import from PM by dragging the selected files and drop them on LR in Dock. Stars in PM carry over to the LR database just like the IPTC, even though the classes don't :-(.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I actually keep forgetting about that...will definitely give that a shot next time...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Lightroom has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to grading and organizing photos. I only use a small subset of the tools available. However, one tool ... which slipped my mind when I detailed my workflow ... is auto collections. I love this thing. I have auto collections set up for dozens of different criteria. Everything from keywords to bits of metadata can be utilized to help organize your image library and make finding that one photo you have to find right away drop dead easy. Love it! 

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Auto collections is the only function I miss from LR...

CanadiaNikon

CanadiaNikon

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

I just picked up DxO Optics Pro 10 Elite to handle raw conversion of my NEF files prior to TIFF export to Lightroom 5.7.

I have yet to use the new software but I am looking forward to it and I have heard/read that the noise reduction tool is second to none.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

PRIME is good, probably the best at preserving detail while reducing noise aggressively. I don't like how it treats out of focus areas, though. If you are in a hurry, PRIME is slow as molasses, even on a fast machine and Noise Ninja (part of Photo Ninja nowadays) does a better job than the standard DxO algorithms.

I am at the moment evaluating Photo Ninja to check if it can replace Capture in my workflow. So far, things look promising. The reason I haven't switched to DxO is that I use old non-cpu lenses so much and need a good way to profile the distortion and vignetting and save for easy retrieval.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I am adobe free since years now… so I do this way:

• Card in reader to computer.

• I only work in sessions (never catalogue!), select and process
  RAW files in Capture One.

— At this point, the photographer has completed its job.

• Transfer the keepers in the RAW folder from desktop to Image
  Bank external HD where it will live and be backed up by Raid 5
  TimeMachine.

— What follows is pixel edition in Affinity Photo 

• It is at this point that artistic intent and end uses considerations co-
 me to play.