Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

B500 Image Management

b500 image management folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

JoePluta

JoePluta

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a Canon B500 and when I take pictures say, over a weekend, I often end up with multiple folders with names like 100NIKON and 101NIKON, and within those folders I get my JPG and MP4 files, all with names like DSCN1056.MP4 and DSCN1057.JPG. Normally the camera wouldn't create a new folder until I had taken quite a few new pictures and movies. And even then, the file names have always continued to go in ascending sequence, as if there was an internal counter.

My normal process is to get home, copy those folders off onto my NAS, and then delete everything on the SD card. Typically I've just use Windows File Explorer to delete all the NIKON10* folders. Then, once I start taking pictures, the camera would create a NIKON100 folder and start adding files to that folder with the ascending numbers.

This weekend, however, the camera stored things differently. At first, it did indeed create the NIKON100 folder and started adding files with the next ascending number. I didn't take that many movies/pictures and I expected to see them all in that same folder by the end of the weekend. However, at some point the camera started behaving differently and instead created new folders (NIKON101, NIKON102, NIKON103) each with far fewer files than I would have expected, but even more unusual, renumbering kept restarting at DSCN0001 for each folder.

I assume I've changed a setting somewhere, but where might that setting be? Thanks in advance for your help!

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

First, I assume you meant to write Nikon, not Canon. Second, I don't own a B500 but I do own a B700. This image is from its manual. Perhaps there is something similar in the B500 manual. Hope this helps.

B0OP07J.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b500, image management, folders