Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF-S Nikkor 55-300 VR dropped in salt water

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Cojcolds

Cojcolds

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi all,

At the end of a wonderful holiday, a not-so-wonderful thing happened. I was shooting a sunrise from the riverbank (salt water) and completely dropped my lens into the water. I immediately rushed to the mens toilets, filled the sink with tap water and gave it a good flushing through with fresh water. I exercised the zoom and focus, while submerged, to get the water thoroughly pumping through the body.

I then drained it and spent a good 30 minutes holding it under the hand blow dryer to get the unit warmed up so the water would evaporate faster. I then stuck it in a bag of rice and placed it on the hot back window of the car for a few days.

Today on inspection, the unit is perfectly dry inside, the zoom and focus actions are still smooth, but the lens is quite badly smeared with some sort of a residue and really needs a good internal cleaning. I haven't tried connecting it to the camera yet to see if it's functional.

I searched youtube for a lens cleaning video for this model but could only find repairs for locked zoom, etc. I can't find any videos on lens access/cleaning.

I'm technically adept (eg. have pulled many MacBook Pros and iPhones apart to repair them) so I have no fear of disassembling this unit to give it a good cleaning.

Before I go any further, should I try another cleaning session with distilled water or isopropyl alcohol, then do the drying routine again?

Can someone please point me in the right direction to a step-by-step on accessing the internal glass on this lens?

Your sage advice is most appreciated!

Regards,

Cojcolds