Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is Nikons' best FX DSLR for its' price?

camera best fx dslr price

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

pjman792

pjman792

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBiloxi, Mississippi, USA

From the current Nikon line, I'd say the D600/610 provides the best value for the money. But overall, I think the discontinued D700 is the untimate in bang for the buck for Nikon bodies. The D700 really an unbeatable combination of features and price. I was fortunate enough to buy a mint D700 about a year ago with just 1,200 shutter activations, and use it as my backup body for my D3s.

Oh, and I think the D3s would be second on that list of best value! It's just an incredible camera.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Agreed on the D700 being an incredible value for its features.  What does a D3s go for used these days?

pjman792

pjman792

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
Good used D3s bodies seem to be going for between 3 and 4 thousand. I love mine - it's a real workhorse. I'm a commercial photographer, and also do a good bit sports, and it's just the perfect combinatoion of high frame rate, high ISO capability, and handling.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

I agree a D3s or a D3x are getting to be fairly good deals.  I expect another small price drop when the D4s hits the market next month.

I wasn't afraid to buy used, not with a rating of 400K shutter actuations.

Maddie H.

Maddie H.

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, 

You may have already heard but there is a giveaway for a D610. This of course would be an update from your current camera. Just thought I would mention it to you. :) 

Nikon D610 Giveaway

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

And just when is the give away going to happen.  I thought it was a while ago, but it goes on and on......

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

My counter says 14 days, 2 hours left, which puts the drawing at 11PM on January 30th.

mallough

mallough

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

I am considering the D610.  I have dismissed the D600 based on the sensor issues.  I ruled out all of the Canon bodies, since they are all at least 1/3 stop slower than the D610, and low-light and action photography are the bulk of my shooting.

Any thoughts?

pjman792

pjman792

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

If I didn't already have a D700, I'd almost certainly get a D610 as my backup body. Still, you might consider looking around for a good used D700 - many can still be found with very low shutter actuations. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I am considering the D610.  I have dismissed the D600 based on the sensor issues.  I ruled out all of the Canon bodies, since they are all at least 1/3 stop slower than the D610, and low-light and action photography are the bulk of my shooting.

Any thoughts?

I have 2 D600s and have not had any sensor issues.  I expect you will be perfectly happy with either the D600 or D610.  While I'm sure the issue did exist, it obviously was not sufficient to stop my purchase and I'm glad it didn't.  I mainly shoot sports - both outdoors and indoors, but mostly outdoors at night games.  Love my 600s although I have to say I would be happy to trade up to D4s for the added capabilities if money wasn't an object...

Natural Encounters

Natural Encounters

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDorset, Uk

I am fortunate to own 4 Niks.

A D4, D3, D700 and a D90. But have used most of the other models on the market.

The D4 is awesome, but then you would expect it to be, The D3 is still an exceptional camera, and is my second body, and I wouldn't rule out that or the D700 for what you want if you are happy to go used, but if you want new then I agree with the majority and go down the D600 or 610 road.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camera, best, fx, dslr, price