Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is Nikons' best FX DSLR for its' price?

camera best fx dslr price

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

alliepiegal

alliepiegal

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I currently am using a Nikon D200, and I know that my camera is incredibly out of date so I've recently been looking around to get a new camera. I've mainly been looking at the D600 and the D800, however I'm interested to hear other Nikon users opinions about all the FX DSLR's out there-- which is the best camera for their price points? If you were currently in the market to buy a camera, which one would you buy and why?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The D800 offers amazing image quality, but you'd need to pair it with high-end lenses to get the most out of the high resolution sensor.  Therefore, I'd say that the D600/D610 are currently the best value.  I don't think there's any other camera for under 2k that can deliver the same kind of image quality...

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Go for the D610, as the D600 has now been replaced and it had some issues with dust on the sensor that the D610 fixes.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have been looking into this myself, since my D300 is starting to show it's age. It is not easy, because price aside, all four FX cameras are made for a specific usage. The D610 is a nice "do everything" prosumer kind of camera, the Df seems to me to be made for the street shooter with a need to work fast and unobtrusively. The D800 is a dream for studio and landscape work, but the large files might be a problem for other uses and the D4 is definitely made for the sports photographer or photojournalist.

I would have to borrow or rent a D610 over a weekend or so to decide if I can live with the lack of buttons after living with a D300 and a D700 for so long. For my main uses, that is street and event, the Df seems perfect but again I would have to rent one to see for myself how it works *for me*.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
D610 is just under $2k.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Yep, 610, it's a bit crippled in a few places, but still best value.

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I bought the 610, and I wouldn't say that it is crippled in the least.  It has 1 stop of shutter speed less than the D800...big deal...there are ways around that.  Less AF points...yes, it would have been nice to have more AF points spread out for selective focus, but it hasn't slowed me down yet.  Regarding the D800, almost half the fps of the D610 and the buffer on the D800 takes a long time to clear out those large 36MP files when the buffer fills, whereas I can still be taking shots with the D610.  In the studio, I usually shoot at 1/125s or 1/160s, and if I need to overpower ambient outside, I simply shoot HSS with a speedlite, so flash sync speed is not an issue at all.

Both the 610 and 800 are excellent cameras and both have shortcomings.  I would say that they compliment each other well.  If the D800 could shoot 6-8fps and have a better/faster buffer and maybe offer a small RAW format option, I would say the D800 is the clear winner.  If you are a landscape shooter or like to print very large prints, then the D800 is for you.  If not, then I'd suggest comparing the features vs. cost and see what is best for you, but I don't think you will go wrong with either camera. 

BTW, I do plan on picking up the D800 when the next good deals roll around, hopefully on BF. 

azzy

azzy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

D600 refurb is only $1299 now http://cametacamera....d=wpefAGf2g/g& , made the jump to it recently

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia

I would second the D600...if you can find one new it's at very low prices now in the US. Lucky yous :P

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland
I have just updated from D200 to D610. I was also in the position of choosing between D800 and D600 ( at the time). I didn't want the huge sensor of the D800 but I also didn't want the dirt issue of the D600. I placed my faith in the rumours of an D610 and just waited. Now have it and I am very happy with it. I had the D200 for 8 years so it is taking a bit of getting used to the D610 but I am getting there. I am still using my 17-55 DX lens on the D610 but will change this sometime to an FX lens. My only advice to you is to ask yourself if you really need 36 Mp and all the hassle that brings with image sizes, processing time and also the cost of 32/64gb CF/SD cards. There is nothing on the D610 that is not an upgrade from the D200 so don't be clouded by the difference between D800 and D610 and what the D800 offers over the D610.

cupic

cupic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNSW Australia

You cant go pass the valuable D700 still agreat option

cheers

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm thinking the D610 even though I do not own one.

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia
I've just bought a used D600 for $1000 and I can't say enough good things about it.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

I currently am using a Nikon D200, and I know that my camera is incredibly out of date so I've recently been looking around to get a new camera. I've mainly been looking at the D600 and the D800, however I'm interested to hear other Nikon users opinions about all the FX DSLR's out there-- which is the best camera for their price points? If you were currently in the market to buy a camera, which one would you buy and why?

Alliepiegal:

I will approach your questions differently than the answers above.  To start, what will you be using the camera for?  Do you already own FX lenses?  What does the DX format do, or not do, that moving to FX will solve for you?

First off, the D200 is still a fine camera that takes fine photos.

Now with that said, if you want video.  If you want to crop more into the image.  If you want a higher (wider) dynamic range those are reasons to upgrade.

If you post to social media and occasionally print upto to say 12' by 9' then the D200 is fine.

So, what are the reasons to upgrade?

Now with those points brought to light, your question I put in bold in your quote above is ambiguous and leaves a lot of room for interpretation. 

What exactly are you trying to get at?  My point is each of the four current model (five if you want to count the D3x, which is still on the Nikon USA web page) are the "best".......at their "price point."

Each of the cameras has its positives and short comings.

Do you have a need for speed, then pony up and buy a D4.

Do you want a great low light camera without monster files then get the Df.

If you are a detail freak, then buy a D800.

Are you a consumer who wants a good file in a package slightly larger than a DX format camera then get the D610.

Each camera has its purpose.  Is there overlap?  Sure.  But until we know how you are going to use the camera a cogent answer cannot be given.

I doubt my great camera is your great camera.

Is the question really, "What value do I get for a general purpose camera and what will I miss if I buy a D610?"  Are you price point sensitive?

Also, you need to closely look at FX format lens costs and weights.  FX format lenses are big and cost a lot.

IMHO, for the average person who "just wants a great camera" and you don't want it to cost too much, then go buy a D7100.  It is head and shoulders above your D200 in contemporary features, but will still be familiar and not be too much for travel, etc.

If you really are committed to FX, then buy a lightly D700 and spend the rest of the money on lenses.

In your post you asked a specific question about being in the market and what would the purchase be.  Yes, I am in the market and for ME the correct camera is the Df because I shoot lots of low light and I want access to the excellent D4 chip that is housed in the Df for half the price of a D4.

What is your purpose for the new camera?  Tell us how you will use the camera and I (we) will be sure to help you.

alliepiegal

alliepiegal

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I apologize for my ambiguity before, let me clarify.....

It is not necessarily that I have decided specifically to switch from dx to fx (although I do typically enjoy a larger sensor), I am just specifically interested in upgrading my camera. I got my D200 before going to college and getting my degree in photography. I am a professional portrait photographer, however right now I am working for somebody else at a portrait studio and I use their cameras to do my work. At the studio we use Canon camera equipment-- we have a 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 7D, and a 6D and I use all of them regularly. Working with such new cameras everyday at work just amplifies how far behind my D200 has fallen over the last several years. So I'd say that my main reason for upgrading would be because I want higher dynamic range.

Lenses aren't too much of a factor-- I only have 1 dx lens, the rest are fx. The dx lens that I have was the one that came with the camera... I prefer high quality glass if I'm going to spend the money anyways.

I'm interested in getting other photographers feedback on all the cameras because I have things that I like and don't like about each of them, and I'm having a very hard time finding the right fit. I personally prefer for my cameras to take CF cards as opposed to SD's, so only having the SD slot on the D610 bothers me a little bit (but then again is that a petty thing to be bothered by?). I am definitely interested in having a camera with great low light sensitivity, so both the D610 and D800 look great in that respect... certainly above the D700, which is why I originally ruled that one out. I've heard many complain about the D800's file size, and so it makes me concerned that I might have to perform some considerable upgrades to my computer (not positive but it's a possibility). I had not even considered the Df, as I had not even heard of the camera until this point in time... obviously I have some more research to do! haha! I started with the D610 and the D800 because they are pretty affordable compared to the D4 or D3x.

I can see what you mean about my question that  you put in bold 'long exposure'... it's not worded the best. I merely want to know what everyone thinks is the best of the cameras relative to each of their individual costs..... like 'is the D800 truly worth the price jump, or are the different features not enough for the increase?' for example. Just like how you said that df has the d4 chip in it but is half the price. That's what I meant.

So that is basically where I'm at. Thank you all very much for your feedback, looking forward to learning some more :)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Hi, you are misinformed if you ruled out the D700 for low light sensitivity.  Despite being an older model, it still ranks 12th out of all DSLRs on DXO Mark as far as low light scores.  It places higher than the much newer Canon 5D MKIII.

Sensors Database - DXOMARK

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

For me, the D4 is the best choice, but it was not in my price range when I was looking to upgrade...I did quite a bit of research between the D800 and D600 and, for me, the D600 was the better choice.  It seemed to get better low light reviews at the time and with shooting sports, I wanted the highest frame rate that I could get.  I really don't think you would regret either...I might have gone the other way if I was primarily shooting portraits...

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

Alliepiegal:

Thanks for the additional information.  To be frank, I love the way Canon renders skin.  If I was a portrait photographer, I would stay with Canon.  I think Nikon has too much pop and contrast.  But, this is just me.

Sure the colors and WB of Nikon can be tweaked but the Canon is great. 

Also if I was a portrait photographer, I would definitely spring for a basic medium format system. The skin rendition of a Hassleblad is very nice and IMHO better than Phase one.  A medium format will immediately give your work a different work and in a different league, thus separating you in the marketplace which is a good thing.

On to Nikon.  I think NIkon does everything else better, in the 35mm arena, when compared to Canon.  WIth your low light desire, I think the Df is the way to go but you will have to like the handling.  Perhaps a D610 will be just as good for you.  If you compare ISO versus dynamic range curves, the Df is only about a quarter of a stop better.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Alliepiegal:

Thanks for the additional information.  To be frank, I love the way Canon renders skin.  If I was a portrait photographer, I would stay with Canon.  I think Nikon has too much pop and contrast.  But, this is just me.

Sure the colors and WB of Nikon can be tweaked but the Canon is great. 

Also if I was a portrait photographer, I would definitely spring for a basic medium format system. The skin rendition of a Hassleblad is very nice and IMHO better than Phase one.  A medium format will immediately give your work a different work and in a different league, thus separating you in the marketplace which is a good thing.

On to Nikon.  I think NIkon does everything else better, in the 35mm arena, when compared to Canon.  WIth your low light desire, I think the Df is the way to go but you will have to like the handling.  Perhaps a D610 will be just as good for you.  If you compare ISO versus dynamic range curves, the Df is only about a quarter of a stop better.

A friend of mine shoots portraits and that's why he stuck with Canon.  He was really tempted by the D800 for his landscapes, but it wasn't enough.  

Back on target.  As for the best deal in an FX(Nikon), the D600 is hard to beat.  Mine ended up being a dust monster, but it's not hard to clean a sensor.  You can save a lot of money, and it's a great camera.

wedgtail

wedgtail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdealaide

D600 refurb is only $1299 now http://cametacamera....d=wpefAGf2g/g& , made the jump to it recently

A good way to go I have had my D600 for a year now with a 7000+ shutter count and it has no signs of a dirty sensor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camera, best, fx, dslr, price