Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon d80

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

outbackmac

outbackmac

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a d80 and looking to upgrade.  will my existing lenses be compatible with the newer cameras?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a d80 and looking to upgrade.  will my existing lenses be compatible with the newer cameras?

Sure, as long as it has DX format sensor. :P

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Mostly yes, but possibly with some limitations.

F.i. AF-D and G lenses will be manual focus if you choose to go for a D3xxx or D5xxx, as those camerabodies don‘t have a motor.

And if you choose to go for the New Nikon mirrorless (Z) series, you will need an adapter

To give you a detailed answer, please list your lenses and what camera you would like to get.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Mostly yes, but possibly with some limitations.

Thank for the precisions, Jerry! :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If your lenses are AF-S, you can get any current DX body to replace the D80. If any of them are AF * D or AF * G, you need at least a D7xxx body for the AF to work. The D or G suffix is not enough on its own to identify how the autofocus is powered. There have been a few D lenses with a built-in focus motor and a few G lenses without. What is important is the AF prefix without the ending -S. The AF-S stands for a silent drive motor that is necessary on cameras that don't have a drive motor in the body (D40, D60, D3xxx and D5xxx families.)

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

outbackmac i have few question need to be ask. one is budget. how many full frame lens and DX lenses you own. if stay DSLR go find D7200 nice camera and has motor in body i would go mirrorless and get Z50 or if have good amount of Full frame lenses the go Z6 or D750 for full frame. but mirrorless is going to be way to go. since DSLR going be stopped being made few years down the road. with out budget and list of lenses going to be hard lead you in right way.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I expect it will be many years before they stop making DSLRs.  It will take some time after that before all the photojournalists and other pros move to mirrorless.  Not suggesting against mirrorless, just saying the demise of the DSLR is no reason to choose mirrorless.

The D500 is the top of the line DX camera and a great option as well.  But the D7xxx bodies are all a big improvement over your D80,