Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wireless triggers.... what are people using?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Jocktog

Jocktog

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

I have only just switched to Nikon. Previously I has a set of Calumet wireless triggers on my Canon and they worked really well on both my strobes and studio lights and were really useful when out doing star trails and lightpaint/night photography..... What I would like to know is what triggers peeps on here are using and any pros or cons to them. I know quite a lot about pocket wizards but cant spring for them at the moment so I'm looking for reliable alternatives.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

Pocket Wizards all the way.

LarryM

LarryM

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Pocket Wizard Pluss III

Landscaaped

Landscaaped

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHalifax United Kingdom.

I don't know much about Pocket Wizards but I use Triggertrap mobile with dongle for iPhone.

GoboStudio

GoboStudio

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
Cybersync. It works great with my Paul Buff lights

scenicsabound

scenicsabound

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I use the Nikon CLS system for a lot of my work. When I do need RF capabilities I use the Cactus V5. They are inexpensive and actually work very well (but are not TTL or CLS compatible of course). Having flashes with good manual adjustments come in very handy (Like the Nikon SB-910)

leCabri

leCabri

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationQuebec city, Canada

Site Supporter

Cactus V5

Way better than V4. Each unit can make trasmetter OR receiver

They are working well with cactus LV5, the laser trigger.

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

I currently use the Yongnuo RF-603 manual triggers. They are about $25 for a pair of transceivers from Amazon. I have manual strobes right now. I am thinking of moving up to the Yongnuo YN-565 TTL speedlight though and then use the YN-622 wireless three channel TTL triggers too.

Erewego

Erewego

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUK (Somewhere in the middle)

I currently use the Yongnuo RF-603 manual triggers. They are about $25 for a pair of transceivers from Amazon. I have manual strobes right now. I am thinking of moving up to the Yongnuo YN-565 TTL speedlight though and then use the YN-622 wireless three channel TTL triggers too.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Yongnuo speedlight - I nearly bought one of these before shelling out for an SB-800.

If they work well, I'll get one as a second unit but the reviews I have read so far seem so wide ranging I can't make an informed opinion !

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

I use the Yongnuo RF-603N. Never had any problems with them. I know they will trigger from at least 200 yds away outside.

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Yongnuo speedlight - I nearly bought one of these before shelling out for an SB-800.
If they work well, I'll get one as a second unit but the reviews I have read so far seem so wide ranging I can't make an informed opinion !

I also use the Yongnuo 603's and also have 2 Yongnuo speedlights (560 III). I love both the speedlights and triggers, for the money they are incredible. I also use the 603's as my shutter remote when doing long exposure.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I am so glad to hear all the positive comments about Yongnuos. Several of the pros I know swear by them, but they are all Canon users. Haven't heard many Nikon users discuss them. They just came out with a new transmitter that includes and LCD screen...or did I just dream that up? Anyhow, YN speedlights and triggers are on my wish list...

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

I use Yongnuo 603's as well good bang for your buck

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I am kind of low-tech compared to the field.  I use a Nikon SU-800 with Nikon SB-800 Speedlights.     :D

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

I am so glad to hear all the positive comments about Yongnuos. Several of the pros I know swear by them, but they are all Canon users. Haven't heard many Nikon users discuss them. They just came out with a new transmitter that includes and LCD screen...or did I just dream that up? Anyhow, YN speedlights and triggers are on my wish list...

Nope, you were correct on the LCD screen...

Yongnuo's New YN-622 Radios Have LCD Screens - The Phoblographer

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

http://www.phottix.c...o-ii-multi.html

Phottix Strato IIs are a great deal for around $100 for a transmitter and receiver.  They are not wireless auto TTL, but you can mount a flash on the transmitter's hot shoe mount and still retain the TTL that way.  Extremely reliable and worth it for the money if you don't mind manual settings.

I've never used the Yongnuo's but an Advanced Photographer magazine review of triggers gave the RF-603's a 76 rating and the Phottix Strato II a 97 rating, the best tested.  Their biggest gripe about the RF-603's were the non-locking foot that was not fitting properly on Canon or Nikon hot shoes without filing them down.

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

pocketwizards unless I'm doing off camera flash with my Sony NEX-6 then I use yuongnuo triggers.

timj1962

timj1962

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Cybersync. I love it.

Jocktog

Jocktog

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks guys and gals for the replies. I know of all that have been mentioned here although in the UK they are not all avail or have a different name, will now do a little bit of searching/ research and see what I can get for a good price in the UK.

singlerosa

singlerosa

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

I have 3 SB-800s and use a Nikon SU-800 (IR) and Yongnuo 603s (RF).  The SU-800 gives me all CLS capabilities, but limits me to line of site and close working distances, while the 603s give great range, but are manual only.