Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Has Anyone Tried Triggertrap on their Nikons?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

JRosen

JRosen

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHouston, Texas

There's a new device on the market called triggertrap that plugs into our Nikon cameras--most DSLRs are included. <Triggertrap.com> Triggertrap is a device that allows you to shoot from your smart-phone.  What I am unsure of is: (1) can you see through your iPhone or Android phone to use it as a viewfinder, (2) can this be used instead of the eye-fi to get the pictures from the camera into the smart-phone?

Any clues anyone?

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

The factilities it appears to offer sounds very similar to the Nikon WU-1a wireless mobile adaptor - http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I've never heard of Triggertrap, but I use the DSLRDashboard app on my phone and tablet for tethering and triggering the camera.  Although Live View does not work on my specific tablet, I know others can use Live View, so I guess it is hit or miss depending on your phone or tablet.  I set up my D610 to shoot RAW to SD Card #1 and JPG to SD Card #2, which is what transfers over to DSLRDashboard.  I mainly use it in the studio so that I can check the exposure on my high res 10" screen. 

It isn't perfect, but it is free, so try it out and see if it works for you.

I looked into the wireless adapters, and although they sound terrific in principle, it looks like they lag really bad and have connectivity problems, so I'll stick with the wired tether for the faster transfers.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I've never heard of Triggertrap, but I use the DSLRDashboard app on my phone and tablet for tethering and triggering the camera.  Although Live View does not work on my specific tablet, I know others can use Live View, so I guess it is hit or miss depending on your phone or tablet.  I set up my D610 to shoot RAW to SD Card #1 and JPG to SD Card #2, which is what transfers over to DSLRDashboard.  I mainly use it in the studio so that I can check the exposure on my high res 10" screen. 

It isn't perfect, but it is free, so try it out and see if it works for you.

I looked into the wireless adapters, and although they sound terrific in principle, it looks like they lag really bad and have connectivity problems, so I'll stick with the wired tether for the faster transfers.

I got a Nikon WU-1a last week and although it is still early days in terms of learning it's capablities, it looks quite basic. But saying that, think it has got some useful uses.

Verglace

Verglace

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne

It can do niether. It turns your smart phone into a really fancy wired trigger. The best way to see what it does is to download the app (it's free) and play around with the functions.

Adamwesleyo

Adamwesleyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I grabbed one a couple of months back and love it. I am doing some time-lapse with it and just picked up the flash attachment for some high speed photography. It works great and the customer service people are great. Plus it can do quite a few other things. For 20 bucks I now have a great intervalometer, high speed rig, etc. Does ramping, HDR time-lapse, sound triggering. It's the whole package. Plus they are adding stuff and working on some laser triggers and motion sensors that you can stack. I did a ton of research on their stuff and it's legit. 

Oh and forgot to answer your 2 questions. No and No. It's a smart trigger is what it is. Essentially it only fires the shutter but it can be set to fire at intervals, or for a certain length of time. Time-lapse will fire for as long as needed then you can set time in between. Watch some of the HDR time-lapse videos. But no tethering or viewing the pictures. I use mini USB and sofortbild for viewing on my computer rather than getting the pics on a card. Instant viewing and you can set the camera controls from the comp. Plus its free so that is even better.

stapelt

stapelt

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

I have used the CamRanger and SnapBridge my initial impression is not super positive. I have found that simplicity is highly underrated. The built in feature of the Nikon like ( Exposure delay mode & EFCS ) provide everything I need for wireless remote and reducing transmitted vibration. I put these items in MYMENU and have activated with the Fn2 button.The SnapBridge also thru Bluetooth drains the battery.

I must admit I have only used these two above mentioned apps  2-4 times. So far I have not needed to send/share my photos with others on the spot.