Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Final return to a DSLR.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

EJB

EJB

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag

Started with film/slides around 1960. 

A Yashica TLR was one that stands out.

Had various cameras since and used for all purposes. 

Changed from SLRs to a Panasonic Lumix DMC with a 36 - 432mm lens just over 10 years ago.....now faulty. 

Have a hankering to buy a low priced small DSLR as my final trick!

Two options new or used?

A new 3500 with a standard 18 to 55 mm (Equivalent to 85mm)

Or a used 3300 with a longer used lens (Equivalent to about 200mm).

1. https://www.currys.c...mpid=display~RR

2 & 3. Nikon D3300 Digital SLR Body - Jessops

https://www.jessops.com/p/nikon/af-s-18-135mm-f-3-5-5-6g-if-ed-181837

Obviously both better image quality than my Lumix so OK for cropping...A4 is the largest I ever print to....but 99% are viewed on PC screens these days.

Appreciate any thoughts?  :)

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i would skip the 3000 series body's since they do most or majority of work you get less control of camera. i would go with D5000 series body or D7200 body you be able to do way more then what 3000 series body's do. also if go D5000 series body's no low light sensor or motor in body to run old AF lenses will Auto focus on AF-S only. so if want low light sensor and motor to run old AF lenses go with D7200 around $700 now and great for all types of photography. but since do not know your budget some else will have to give better tips. also fact only one once in awhile too. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I really enjoyed the 18-135 I had that I used on my D7000.  It was a nice lens to carry around when you weren't sure what you wanted or were going to shoot.  In terms of the D3xxx vs. the D5xxx or D7xxx, you will find that the D3xxx are the low end and they go up in terms of capability as you move higher, meaning the D3xxx do not have all the capabilities of the D5xxx and the D5xxx does not have what the D7xxx has.  

All that said, if you are not planning on getting other specific lenses or if you are good with the capabilities of the D3300 or D3500, then you will be a "Happy Camper" as they say.  I would highly recommend looking at your choice from that point of view.  Pick the right body and pick the lens or lenses you want to go with it.  You can even look at a combination that would give you the 18-55 and a 55-200 and there are a number of those lenses available used to choose from if you decide to go that route.

EJB

EJB

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you both for your comments.

Finally went for D3500 with the 18 to 55mm VR lens at £299.

Main reasons were the small overall size and low weight.

In camera specifications are more than enough for my desires and abilities.

Reviews, particularly re image quality, are excellent, and for the price quite outstanding.

I may miss the zoom ability but overall it seems to suit.

My photography is only a casual but important pastime....we travel in Europe a lot, and looking at some of my 50 and 60 year old images I'm sure I can maintain a fair standard.

Did once have a 3 year period of full pro access to the whole Nikon range so have tasted the silly end!

Again, thank you both much appreciated. :)  

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

Enjoy your new camera. :)

• EJB likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Enjoy the new gear and please stick around to share some experiences and images!

• EJB likes this