Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

laptop/mac/ipad

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Janey

Janey

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi from a dreich  North of Scotland 

I'm fairly new to editing my photos, I have a D7100 and using View NX2 (which I can do basic editing with) on an aged and failing laptop.

I'm looking for either a Macbook or iPad, (neither of which I have any experience of) to be able to further/learn about editing.

I have been into the local shops but nobody seems to know about photo editing or doesn't want to know, apart from being keen to take my money!

Is it possible to upload photos from my 7100 (not wi-fi enabled) using a card reader and adaptor?

If not either of the above what does everyone else use?

Thanks, from a dafty who is not technically minded.

Janey 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I use a nearly 10 years old Macbook pro with 10.13 using a Sandisk card reader. This reader handles CF and any flavour of SD card flawlessly.

I use Photo Mechanic for ingestion, keywording, DAM and export.

Capture NX-D for raw conversion.

AutopanoGiga for stitching.

Photomatix for HDR.

Photoshop as a pixel editor.

Filters from NIK and Topaz.

I would start with a Macbook of some kind, Nikon's free software and a good card reader. ViewNX-i can handle keywording even if a dedicated DAM solution does it easier and Capture NX-D gets more out of the NEF file than most raw converters.

The reason I still rent Photoshop from Adobe is that I know its quirks and most of the shortcuts I need for a fast workflow. For a new user, learning some other pixel editor makes more sense.

iPads can work for editing, but I find touch UI-s harder to use than traditional pointer-driven interfaces. The camera connection kit usually works for transfer from the camera but is a bit finicky with what card readers it works well.

• TBonz and Janey like this

Janey

Janey

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Merco_61

Many thanks for that info.

I am a total novice when it comes to anything but a Windows laptop and very basic software editing but since joining a camera club I'd like to get better and improve my photos.

I'll be able to go shopping now!

Thanks again