Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Whats your thoughts with a mirrorless for wildlife

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
My brain is start tripping again Haha
Never used a Nikon mirrorless before, so my brain making scenarios again and again
Just wondering if I purchase a Z6 and try to make it a pair with my 500 f4 would be better choice?
The thing is I could literally shoot full manual and give more life to my pics if was able to check my exposure on my viewfinder without moving my head sounds really sweet
The other thing is the shutter sound! Is it loud or quiet, Its really important for me when I shoot from a blind
A mirrorless camera can give me extra frames before an animal feels my presence. I've lost couple good pictures because I couldn't get the right exposure or my d500 was too loud even in silent mode.
Does the Z6 and d500 using same batteries

If Anyone has nikon mirrorless camera please share your opinions(before I rent it)! Thank you in advance

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

The best shutter to use for low/no noise is electronic so long as its not on BIF as it can cause distortion on moving subjects, you are right about what you see is what you get in the EVF, cant help with Nikon as i have only just bought the Z50, 

mike

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag
Whats your thoughts with a mirrorless for wildlife?

Sorry Bobby, no thoughts at all… DSLR all the way.

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

Sorry Bobby, no thoughts at all… DSLR all the way.

I think we should give a try

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

I think we should give a try

A try? Sure, but tell us all about it! :)

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

The best shutter to use for low/no noise is electronic so long as its not on BIF as it can cause distortion on moving subjects, you are right about what you see is what you get in the EVF, cant help with Nikon as i have only just bought the Z50, 

mike

How silent is the electronic shutter! Can you hear a click

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

How silent is the electronic shutter! Can you hear a click

Most make no noise, not tried my Z50 yet but you can add a false noise if you want so you know your taking pictures, i love mirrorless and in the hide/blind situation it should work well, its just not as easy for things like BIF, the D500 rules that.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

E shutter can have its uses but you need to avoid certain situations and images, look up rolling shutter, this shows what can go wrong.

49098848931_deddf17dd9_b.jpgP6120070 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

E shutter can have its uses but you need to avoid certain situations and images, look up rolling shutter, this shows what can go wrong.

49098848931_deddf17dd9_b.jpgP6120070 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Thank you!Very good picture

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i own Z6 and D7200. best bet is keep D500 and go with Z6. since Z50 will have no ibs. all your get is crop body with no IBS and few other things. also if you need extra reach why not get teleconverter for lens to go along with Z6. i use my D7200 as second setting camera for actions shoots or back up if need to be. since i have 1.7 teleconverter for my gen 1 70-200mm i use on Z6. and love combo. but will use my gen 1 tamron on D7200. do to fact the 150-600mm is only full manual lens with no VR and sucks so looking to replace it if tamron does not get fix  they said going to do for it. also do not use electronic shutter on mirrorless body since get cartoonish shots. i should know since i tried silence shooting for jousting and softball did not look right. also i one few people on this board that use nikon Z6 mirrorless body or have mirrorless body too. also on once in awhile. should be on more. but most time do not see anything new i can remark on since other better at giving tips be shooting a lot longer then me and know more about lenses then i do. 

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

E shutter only causes problems in action shots with wildlife or any subject, sorry but I see no problem using a Z50 for wildlife, no IBIS is not a problem if you have VR in your lens in fact with long lenses VR can be a lot better than IBIS, i use the 100-400 (FOV 200-800) ON M4/3 on Olympus who have the best IBIS in the game but i use the lens VR as its far better.