Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zoom lens recommendation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Kelly

Kelly

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Newbe photographer - I have Nikon D3500.  I'm a hiker & shoot wildlife, birds, nature landscapes.   Looking to buy a zoom lens - Looking at Tamron SP 150-600mm telephoto lens for Nikon F mount.  Would like any recommendations for any brand, refurbished is fine. My budget is $900.  Not too heavy, - take along as we hike, not interested in tripod.

Thank-you,

Kelly in Pennsylvania. :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The Tamron in its current G2 version is a good choice, the first generation can be troublesome on the D3xxx bodies as it doesn't support the tap-in console to fine tune AF and the D3xxx don't have AF fine-tune. A Sigma 150-600 Contemporary is probably the best choice on a budget as it is an older lens than the G2, but is Dock-compatible.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I would also look at the weight of those lenses.  They can be hand held, but I would recommend at least a monopod.  I would recommend considering the Nikon 200-500 and the Nikon 80-400 as well.  The 80-400 would be the easiest to carry and shoot handheld.  You might have to find those used or refurbished though.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

On your budget I would suggest the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and a USB dock. I'm using it mostly handheld, but it can get tiresome in the long run so I'll second a monopod.

Kelly

Kelly

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank-you for suggestions, I'll check them out. 

Much appreciated.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would also look at the weight of those lenses.  They can be hand held, but I would recommend at least a monopod.  I would recommend considering the Nikon 200-500 and the Nikon 80-400 as well.  The 80-400 would be the easiest to carry and shoot handheld.  You might have to find those used or refurbished though.

The 80-400 is a wonderful lens, but a bit outside Kelly's price range. The old AF version can sometimes be found at an affordable price, but it is mushy compared to the current AF-S version and won't auto focus on a D3xxx body. The 200-500 has the same drawback as an early Tamron on a D3xxx as there is lots of sample variation because of the price point they are built to. There is a much higher risk of a consumer zoom needing AF fine-tune than a more expensive lens.

Kelly

Kelly

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Been reading reviews on-line, I think I'm going with Sigma 150-600 contemporary. Good price right now on Amazon with gift card it's 768.00.  Some of the used ones I was reluctant, most said moderate wear.  -Going with new.  Hope to shoot some eagles in two weeks, & get some good shots.  I'm more of a hiker that likes to pull out a good camera, hopefully this won't be too bulky. 

Thanks again,

Kelly 

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Nikon F
For 600$ at 2.5lb
https://www.bhphotov..._6_3_dg_os.html

Kelly

Kelly

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

thanks, didn't order yet, that's a good buy!

what is better zoom - 

sigma 100-400 or sigma 150-600 as above?

I already own Nikon 70-300mm and it's great but sticks sometimes, bought used.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

I have a Nikon 70-300mm with VR that I use on my D5600 and D7500. It's a great lens - sharp, quick and lightweight. That said, I got the Sigma 100-400mm DG Contemporary a couple of months ago so that I'd have more "reach". Because it's a full frame lens, it provides 35mm equivalent focal lengths of 150 to 600mm on cameras like mine or the D3500. It's become my "go to" for BIF because I can maneuver it handheld. I considered the Sigma 150-600mm but was put off by the extra weight (4 pounds vs 2.5 pounds).

Kelly

Kelly

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Just ordered Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Nikon F  from B & H. ( mainly because of weight & hiking)

Thank-you for your help, can't wait to use it!

Kelly

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Good call Peter - somehow I missed the D3xxx but you got where I was headed.  

Bobby - excellent recommendation...

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

Just ordered Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Nikon F  from B & H. ( mainly because of weight & hiking)
Kelly

Kelly

Kelly

Kelly

Kelly

All you need is a good moment
We shouldn't worry about specs
I've seen people using the newest gear on YouTube but I'm not surprised from their performance at all
When you shooting animals it's different
If you really like what you doing and willing to spend more time in the field you'll have better results than me even if I carry my nikon 500mm f4 around, I promise :)
Go with the 100-400mm save 600$ and spend it on traveling.
There is so many places you can actually visit and fill your memory card with results

Kelly

Kelly

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Came today, not so complicated for a new person & not too heavy to lug on hikes.  Hope to capture eagle pictures next week.  :)

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. BTW, did you get the USB dock as well?

Kelly

Kelly

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, have USB dock, included with package.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

go with gen 2 tamron 150-600mm just in case you go mirrorless. since tamron still have not gotten off butt to get fix for it. said would fix it so not full manual lens on Z body's and way better also.