Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Opinions on the Nikkor 55 macro lens

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
It was bundled with a FM2n I got off eBay. Both it the camera are in excellent condition. Not really familiar Nikon’s macro lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What version?

When it was introduced in the late 50-s, it had the highest optical resolution on the market. This is not surprising as it was developed under orders from the state archives to get a repro lens that could resolve individual brush hair strokes when reproducing calligraphy for the archives.

As it was bundled with an FM2 at auction, it is probably a factory Ai or AiS lens. The Ai 55/3.5 has no weaknesses, the AiS 55/2.8 might need a CLA even if it seems to be in very good condition as the aperture can get sticky and not close down as fast as it should when the grease in the mechanism breaks down. This grease was changed to a new, less stable formula sometime in early 1980 and was in use for some years. I have read from some sources that a S/N over 800001 should have modern grease as well as a redesign to keep it where it should be.

It is a versatile lens as you can see here.

It doesn't go all the way to 1:1 without 27.5 mm extension, but a used PK-13 shouldn't be difficult to find.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

It was bundled with a FM2n I got off eBay. Both it the camera are in excellent condition. Not really familiar Nikon’s macro lenses.

I still have one of these stupendous lenses which I used
mainly on the copy stand… in the days.

A tad too short for macro work because of the proximity
but great for copying slides for example.

I don't use it any more — for sale! — as I replaced it by
the AF 60 mm macro.

daveFM2

daveFM2

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks for the info the serial number is 34xxxx. The barrel extension is smooth, if not slightly stiff. I much prefer having it stiff than loose. The aperture ring is crisp and clicks loudly from stop to stop. The blades likewise perform well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Manwithacam

Manwithacam

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
I've just been using my Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 on my Nikkormat EL today, my Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8 AF-S G ED usually lives on my F100. Mine is a 509xxx and still working perfectly.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nikonsince1972

Nikonsince1972

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPawleys Island, SC

My 55mm f/2.8 AIS Micro Nikkor, circa 1986 is STILL one of the sharpest lenses I own. Many of my best macro images have been taken with it. It also works superbly on my PB-6 bellows.

nikonFILMuser

nikonFILMuser

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBRENTWOOD Essex

Site Supporter

The Over 90 year old Fellow Camera Club member who gave me a load of gear including the Black Paint FM had a 55mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkor attached Serial Number : 240190 -- must be an early one but SO FAR no 'Grease' problems 

51282726276_f03d10a25e_w.jpgNikon FM with Micro-Nikkor by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The Over 90 year old Fellow Camera Club member who gave me a load of gear including the Black Paint FM had a 55mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkor attached Serial Number : 240190 -- must be an early one but SO FAR no 'Grease' problems 
51282726276_f03d10a25e_w.jpgNikon FM with Micro-Nikkor by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Not *that* early. The serial numbers started around 179xxx. It probably has the less stabile grease, but as long as it works it is a nice lens. Many of these lenses were given a better grease during a CLA while they still were professional tools.

nikonFILMuser

nikonFILMuser

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBRENTWOOD Essex

Site Supporter

Thanks Mate -- you have a WEALTH on NIKON knowledge  into which I will 'Tap' from time to time ! 

Best -- Peter