Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

True?

high end camera for you?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

c45man

c45man

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I once heard from a you tube guru that it is a waste of money to purchase a higher end camera such as a D500 or D7500 if you are only shooting in JPEG.    Comparing purchasing a corvette and only drive 25 mph.

Any thoughts?

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

… Comparing purchasing a corvette and only drive 25 mph.

In my book, buying a Corvette and/or drive it at any speed
is not a good idea. rofl.gif

All Nikon's flag ship bodies were design mainly with jpg
shooters in mind first: the sports shooters — that is why
it is so important for Nikon to release it for the next olym-
pics, in Japan.

My fasters single digit camera goes up to 11 fps and this
is faster than what I really need in any kind of shooting in
my operation but local sports.

True is that, even for sports, the local press will grant me
until the next day for delivery but the Olympics syndicated
shooters are transferring their files (jpgs) straight from the
tracks and fields… and elsewhere.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Definitely not true. The PJ-s seldom, if ever, use raw.

That said, shooting raw opens up more possibilities for optimizing the DR of your capture and lessens the risk of jpeg artefacts if you need to save several times in post.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Wish i was good enough to only shoot jpeg :D

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Wish i was good enough to only shoot jpeg :D

No body is good enough to shoot jpg unless under controlled
light… and has to published immediately.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag

I once heard from a you tube guru that it is a waste of money to purchase a higher end camera such as a D500 or D7500 if you are only shooting in JPEG. Comparing purchasing a corvette and only drive 25 mph.

Any thoughts?

I disagree on this statement

While it is true - as for almost all electronic products - that the technological evolution is fast, and what is « top notch » today becomes standard tomorrow (and is then available for a better price), there are a number of other factors to consider.

First are the ergonomics of the different models. Go to a local store and compare using a D500 to a D3xxx or even D7500.

Secondly comes the build of the camera, which is quite different between a relatively cheap entry level model and a high end camera. Along with this goes the expected lifetime, support and wheatherproof of the camera and lenses.

Thirdly the higher end models have some features that are not (yet) available on the consumer models. However, while they have a better support for older lenses, they lack f.i. the assisted modes.

From the above you see that shooting JPEG only is not the criteria to apply (at least it is very very simplified). Or to say it from the other end: RAW is also available on most of the Nikon entry level DSLRs (D3xxxx, D5xxxx) even so they don’t aim at the more demanding photographers.

The real points to consider in choosing and investing in a higher end model is whether (a) you have a need for the added features, (B) you master the camera in such a way that you see a difference in the results that you get, © the photographs taken create additional financial or satisfactory returns.

By the end it thus depends on ***YOU*** as photographer, which camera suits you best.
Number of people taking photographs will be happy with the results they get from entry level cameras, whether shooting JPEG or RAW.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Sounds like a You-Tube non-Guru who doesn't know what they are talking about.  As Merco_61 said, most of the PJs (photo-journalists) I know shoot in JPEG.  When I read that comment, I thought back to a blog entry I did back in the summer of 2014.  The pro I was shooting with normally shoots only JPEG on the D3S that they were using at the time. 

There are many factors other than what file format you use that determine the gear that would be best for the individual photographer.  Back then, I was shooting with two D600 bodies and had a D7000 as a backup.  They were the best option for what I was shooting that I could afford at the time.  And I occasionally did shoot JPEG only.  I got everything I could out of those bodies until I eventually replaced them with two used D4 bodies and a D500 body.  

c45man

c45man

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you for your responses. 

About me, I was into film photography for a number of years.  Dropped out, and upon returning in the last few years, the digital world had emerged.   I currently own a d3300 and do like the camera.  There are challenges at times regarding accurate focusing which I know will probably improve with an upper end body with increased focusing points.  Or would it improve?   I tend to use single point.

Quality of images are acceptable, but not high quality with the kit lenses that I use along with a Tamron 18-200.  Until I make a commitment to better glass, the D7500 body which I would love to own, would probably not make a difference with or without shooting raw.

I am able to improve my images with post processing as it relates to JPEG.  For me that is fine for now.

Oh, by the way, the internet "guru" with the shooting JPEG with high end cameras was the "angry photographer, who I know does not win any popularity contests.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

Shooting 14-Bit raw is "kind of like" getting a negative, and gives flexibility in post processing. You can bring out details with exposures off by ~3 Stops. More chance to save an image. I think of JPEGS as similar to shooting slide-film, you better get the exposure correct. If you do- they tend to be ready to show. I like having the latitude with my cameras that give 14-bit images, and then use Lightroom to "just export to JPEG" for 90%. But for those I want to work with, am glad to have that option. For cameras with 12-bit raw images, I tend to shoot JPEG. These are my older u43 cameras.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Oh, by the way, the internet "guru" with the shooting JPEG with high end cameras was the "angry photographer, who I know does not win any popularity contests.

There are a couple of too loud mouths out on the web for sure. :(

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

There are a couple of too loud mouths out on the web for sure. :(

But I thought everything you hear on the Internet was true. :D

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

But I thought everything you hear on the Internet was true. :D

There are many other loud mouths out there too!

… like politicians, some one with something to sell,
preachers of all kinds and those making more mo-
ney with social media than their own trade.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

totally not true. if only JPG. did what he said would not get better speed and other things like better frame rate per second or better low light shooting in dark. i think only said if on budget or new to shoot. to its your choice to shot just JPG alone. i shoot both. since when looking at raw files threw window photo does not like to read at time. also makes easier to pick the files you want. then go to raw files and take ones want to keep and delete rest. i only keep my keepers in JPG and RAW. also by having JPG with RAW. i can do share with JPG for quick post then full edit.