Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help me to decide which lens to use

nikon lens streetphotography

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

mariah

mariah

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBangladesh,Dhaka

Hi my name is Mariah and I am new to photography. Recently I have decided to start my photography career and also own a Nikon d7200. I want to use it and now I am not sure which lens should I buy for it. I actually love night photography where I would be able to capture bright object or some place glowing in the dark. So guys please suggest me which lens should I buy for night photography?.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Start by getting a good walkaround zoom like the 16-80 or an old 16-85. Use it to learn how the camera works and what focal lengths suit you best. You can even do some available dark on a tripod even if handheld available dark needs faster glass. Once you have found out if you see more in the 18-35 range or in the 50-150 range, get the Sigma f/1.8 zoom that suits better. It is too bad that Nikon don't make any really good, fast DX lenses. If you find that wide landscapes or cityscapes is your thing, the best lens probably is the Tokina 11-20/2.8.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag
Merco_61 already has given good advice which I am fully supporting.

You probably got a lens along with the D7200, so it would be good to know which one it is.
Independently of the lens - and as you focus on night photography - a very important element is a good tripod, allowing you to do long exposures.

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

You probably got a lens along with the D7200, so it would be good to know which one it is.

That would have been my first question... what lens do you have now?

mariah

mariah

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks Merco for your amazing reply. You have suggested me some good lenses. I have been doing a lot of researches about night photography these days, but to be honest being a beginner is the one thing that is holding me doing the thing I want to do. For instance, I want to capture beautiful bright firework photography, but the thing is fireworks are motion scene which are really tough for a beginner to handle. I want to talk to someone who is great with motion photos and is also great with night photography. I like to capture the moment that I see with my own eyes. My hands are also not that stable and that is why I have to use tripod and tripod doest have great accessibility. Using tripod is very painful as they need to stay in one place only. Moving it is a hassle and there is a limit to the angle that it can be bend into. The main thing is I have to stable my hands more and stop using tripod at least for fireworks. I also want to capture lighted banners and fairy lights with people holding them. I have seen so much photos like that I cannot explain. capturing glowing photos has always been my dream and that is why I am now focusing these rather than normal photography. I want to know how can be expert in these. Please help me to learn how to stabilise image and capture images with great clarity even if it is night. I really need to know.

mariah

mariah

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

That would have been my first question... what lens do you have now?

Now I have Nikon 40mm f/2.8 DX Micro ($277), I have no idea about it. Is it good ? would I be able to click hood photos with it ?. I have heard that lens are unique with unique qualities. Each lens is different for doing different job. For example for portrait I guess I have to buy a new lens. Can you please tell me what can I do with my lens and what is its capability?. Even if possible please suggest me what to buy and form where. I know there are duplicate lenses here and there. What can I do to get me rid out of those fake ones?. Is it necessary to buy all the lenses that are required to do all kind if photography ? or I can buy a lens which can do all?. Please suggest me and help me out.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have some available dark shots with the D7200 and a quite cheap Tamron 17-50/2.8 up here.

To read what settings I used, just follow the link below each photo. This will take you to a Flickr album where the EXIF is available.

These Tamrons vary quite a bit from sample to sample, but they are usually usable and if they aren't, Tamrons have a 5-year warranty for the first owner.

Your 40 DX Micro is nice for available light macro shooting but the working distance is too short for any kind of lighting up close. For longer distances, even Nikon's cheapest primes are sharper and have more contrast. It is mostly a repro lens for DX and fills the same role as the 55 or 60 MicroNikkor does on FX.

Talking about the cheapest primes, they are worth getting for both available dark and portraiture. The DX 35/1.8 works well for full-body, environmental and small group portraits and the 50/1.8 is nice for full-body if you have the room to back off a bit and for head-and-shoulders portraits. The f/1.8 aperture wide open gives a shallow depth of field but lets in more light.

What tripod do you have? A good and easy-to-use tripod is a must for learning night shooting as well as for long exposures. With my old Gitzo reporter or a Sachtler and a good ball head, I can usually set up in between 45s and a minute and a half when moving around between shots.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, lens, streetphotography