Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7500 for Auto Race Photography ?

d7500 motorsports new

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

Hello!

I plan on stepping up from a Sony SuperZoom to a DSLR in January/February time frame, and enjoy photographing Nature, People, Architecture, Cars, Landscapes and Motorsports. This latter category has “more stringent” requirements than the others, obviously.

I am considering a Nikon D7500 body and a Nikon AF-S 28-300 f3.5-5.6 ED VR Standard Zoom Lens. By the way, I have large hands and some of the mirrorless cameras I have held feel simply too little to be comfortable. 

I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions and comments the experienced folks have to offer.

Also, I look forward to anything on Nikon vs Canon.

Thank you all, in advance.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Take a look at the D500 for the top of the DX line or the D7200 which many prefer over the D7500.  The D7500 will do fine but if I were purchasing a DX body I would choose one of the other two.

I would recommend staying away from the super-zooms.  Take a look at a combination of two lenses and you will get higher image quality over the single lens that tries to do it all.  You may also want to consider one of the longer zooms if you feel you need more reach such as the Nikon 200-500 or one of the 3rd-Party lenses.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello.

See what Peter/Merco_61 suggested on the other post here Hello from a New Guy! - Say Hello! - NikonForums.com

If motorsport should have the focus, than you might want an even longer focal than the 300 (f.i. the Sigma or Tamron 150-600/5.3-6)
Considering the wide range of interests in photography you will need a focal range from 10/16-500/600 for covering all in an optimal way, requiring different lenses.

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

Will your photography be for business or pleasure? 

Some great suggestions so far, however, your budget is an important factor.

Super zooms get a bad rap because they are slow and often have distortion issues, but can be great when starting out. Some folks drop thousands of dollars up front, only to find their gear ending up at the bottom of the closet a year later when they loose interest. 

Just a few things to consider. :)

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

Take a look at the D500 for the top of the DX line or the D7200 which many prefer over the D7500.  The D7500 will do fine but if I were purchasing a DX body I would choose one of the other two.

I would recommend staying away from the super-zooms.  Take a look at a combination of two lenses and you will get higher image quality over the single lens that tries to do it all.  You may also want to consider one of the longer zooms if you feel you need more reach such as the Nikon 200-500 or one of the 3rd-Party lenses.

The D500 is more that what I want to spend, though the D7200 is within my range.

I will reconsider the one superzoom lens and look more into two lenses to get sharper images, which is a primary goal in stepping up to a DSLR.

Can I get your opinion on the "3rd-party lens" brands?

Thank you for your recommendations.

Cheers!

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

Super zooms get a bad rap because they are slow and often have distortion issues, but can be great when starting out. Some folks drop thousands of dollars up front, only to find their gear ending up at the bottom of the closet a year later when they loose interest. 

I am in this strictly for pleasure.

My budget does not reach to a D500. I began looking at the package which Best Buy offers with the D7500 and the Nikon AF-P DX 18-55 mm VR lens and the G ED Nikon AF-P DX VR 70-300 mm VR lens.

I noticed today a great sale price, but I am not quite ready to purchase. (Plus I am in France with no actual way to get it reasonably.)

An 18 mm as a low-end focal length will be better for me than a 28 mm would.

Thank you for your response, I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

The D500 is more that what I want to spend, though the D7200 is within my range.

I will reconsider the one superzoom lens and look more into two lenses to get sharper images, which is a primary goal in stepping up to a DSLR.

Can I get your opinion on the "3rd-party lens" brands?

Thank you for your recommendations.

Cheers!

I would also recommend the D7200 instead of the D7500.

In my opinion modern Sigma and Tamron lenses are excellent and when comparing prices wins every time

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As you say you have large hands, have you thought about the D7500 not being compatible with a grip? The D7200 is. The only real advantage the D7500 has is the compatibility with AF-P lenses.

The Art, Contemporary and Sports Sigmas and the G2 Tamrons are at least comparable to, if not better than, the Nikon and Canon offerings with similar specs.

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

As you say you have large hands, have you thought about the D7500 not being compatible with a grip? The D7200 is. The only real advantage the D7500 has is the compatibility with AF-P lenses.

The Art, Contemporary and Sports Sigmas and the G2 Tamrons are at least comparable to, if not better than, the Nikon and Canon offerings with similar specs.

I have not yet had the opportunity to actually hold any of these cameras, except a couple of the mirrorless that are too small for me. I have only looked at the physical dimensions posted in the specifications. I will not be back in the US until January, so the purchase will not happen sooner.

I have read some articles comparing the D7200 with the D7500, and the consensus is that the D7200 will provide better photographs, which is what I am after. Though, I did like the tilting screen on my previous camera which facilitated "awkward" shooting positions, which the D7500 has; but, I will forgo that for the better camera.

I will look into the other lenses. Thank you for those recommendations.

My first camera was a Pentax K-1000 that I purchased about 1976, then an ME Super, and I hauled around these with a couple of Tokina zoom lenses, 35-105 and 100-300, as well as Pentax lenses of 24, 50 and 135 mm. I used these exclusively for 10+ years until the birth of my first child - at this time, my wife wanted a point and click. My father was a professional photographer and I got my inspiration from him. I had a couple of the Sony "superzoom" cameras until recently. Actually, my previous camera was stolen two weeks ago, here in Paris. Insurance claim has been filed and a check is awaiting me in the USA.

At the moment, all I have is my iPhone 8 Plus - it's not bad but it is not a "real camera." So, my inspiration is still going strong and will nix the superzoom lens for a couple that will take me from 18 at the low end to likely 200 or 300 at the top end.

Thanks for your past, and any future suggestions.

Cheers!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I purchased my first SLR on my first trip to France in 1976.  The second time I went to France I had 3 Pentax MX bodies with winders, multiple flash devices and around 12 lenses.  That was a rather large and heavy bag.  

I think the D7200 will do you well..The long telephoto zooms will as well!

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

I have read several articles and comparisons over the last few days and have re-evaluated my budget to include the D500. It is reported to be excellent at sporting photography, and its physical dimensions are close to those of my previous camera.

I am considering purchasing a lens such as the AF-S DX 18-140mm f3.5-5.6 ED VR initially, and renting a longer lens to test when the IndyCar race comes to Austin in the spring of next year.

This first lens will cover most if not all of what I normally shoot, and allow some up-close photography in the paddock area of the races.

I did take interest in the D750, as it is full frame sensor, allowing more light, but comparison articles preferred the D500 for sports work. 

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The D500 is the best choice of the two for Sports in my opinion.  I have one I use frequently.  Other than that I have D4 bodies.  The D850 would do well too but it is more expensive.  As Peter (Merco_61) said earlier, a motor base might make any of these bodies more comfortable for you if you have large hands.  I use the base on my D500 and am quite happy with it.  It offers additional battery space to which can help if you are shooting lots of images at an event. 

The other key piece is the lens you are considering.  It is a DX lens that I would not recommend with an FX body.  It will work better with the D7200 or D500.  I have not used that lens so can't provide anything on it.  I did have an older 18-135 that I picked up used that I had on a D7000.  It worked well and gave me good service while I had it.  You can see some of those images from back in 2015 in a few of my blog posts starting with this one.

Side note:  I need to see if I can do that again - probably in spring / summer when it is light longer...

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

I defer to your experience, but the Nikon website lists the D500 as a DX format, ( he king just now), and the lens I listed is what Best Buy is currently offering with it. Although, my local camera store in Austin lists prices often within $5 do what BB lists, so I expect I will buy at a local Brick and Mortar store. I thought the D750 was FX. 

Color this newbie confused?

The D500 is the best choice of the two for Sports in my opinion.  I have one I use frequently.  Other than that I have D4 bodies.  The D850 would do well too but it is more expensive.  As Peter (Merco_61) said earlier, a motor base might make any of these bodies more comfortable for you if you have large hands.  I use the base on my D500 and am quite happy with it.  It offers additional battery space to which can help if you are shooting lots of images at an event. 

The other key piece is the lens you are considering.  It is a DX lens that I wouChld not recommend with an FX body.  It will work better with the D7200 or D500.  I have not used that lens so can't provide anything on it.  I did have an older 18-135 that I picked up used that I had on a D7000.  It worked well and gave me good service while I had it.  You can see some of those images from back in 2015 in a few of my blog posts starting with this one.

Side note:  I need to see if I can do that again - probably in spring / summer when it is light longer...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

KnowingTom, I have a feeling that he just wanted to make it clear that the lens isn’t suitable for the D750 as you mentioned that body in passing.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Peter is correct.  Note what I said below.  I said it would work better with 2 DX bodies and would not recommend with the FX body.  While I probably shouldn't have made an assumption, I correctly assumed you knew that the D500 and D7200 were DX bodies and that the D750 was an FX body.  Sorry if it confused anyone...

The D500 is the best choice of the two for Sports in my opinion.  I have one I use frequently. 

The other key piece is the lens you are considering.  It is a DX lens that I would not recommend with an FX body.  It will work better with the D7200 or D500. 

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

I feel comfortable with my “decision” on a D500. I need to hold one simply to see how it feels.

i really appreciate the comments and suggestions from you gentlemen here. I am glad I joined, I learned some things. 

The other key piece is the lens you are considering.  It is a DX lens that I would not recommend with an FX body.  It will work better with the D7200 or D500.  I have not used that lens so can't provide anything on it.  I did have an older 18-135 that I picked up used that I had on a D7000.  It worked well and gave me good service while I had it.  You can see some of those images from back in 2015 in a few of my blog posts starting with this one.