Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D610 or D800?

nikon d610 nikon d800

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

nicholasjdriver

nicholasjdriver

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I currently own a Nikon D90, and I seriously need to upgrade to full frame. Should I just save cash for the D800, or get the D610?

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Depends on what you want to photograph and what are your requirements. In any case here is the link for comparison of this two cameras http://snapsort.com/...0-vs-Nikon-D800

Clearly Limited

Clearly Limited

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthwest Kansas

The D800 just feels like a better camera that the D610.  To me would be a longer lasting and more rugged choice.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

They are both great in low light.  The D800 is the better camera, overall; but, like Stas said, you need to think about what you want to shoot.  If I had to answer based on the limited information I'd say D800, but it doesn't sound like you have deep pockets, and a fancy camera is useless without good glass.  

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm agree with you that d800 is better. He has more features and capabilities than d610. But for me the question is do you really need all those features or you will pay for something that you will not use.

Brazeal

Brazeal

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Country Flag

I went back and forth hundreds of times and compared the two exhaustively before I chose the 610.  The first reason was money.  Also, I shoot mostly portaits, so the 610 is perfect for that.  If you shoot alot of landscapes, then I would say go with the D800 for the 36MP.  Both cameras have their shortcomings, so pick the one that matches your type of photography.  If you are mostly interested in prints, you will not see the difference between the two until you start getting into very large format prints.  For me, I liked the 6fps burst, quiet shutter mode, and I think the 610 buffers clears out faster than the D800.  With that said, I do intend to buy the D800 when I see a good deal because I do think that the two cameras compliment each other nicely.  I don't think you will go wrong with either one.  I could have picked up a D800 and maybe one excellent lens, but I chose to buy a D610 and two excellent lens now and pickup a D800 later on, and I think I made the wise decision.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have to agree on the features - depends upon the ones you feel you will benefit from the most.  I went back and forth for several months before deciding the D600 was the right choice for me.  The fps, higher ISO and buffer were the deciding factors.  I don't think I'll get an 800 at this point...I'll probably save my money for the D4 or whatever the newer version is by the time I raise that much!

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I got the D600. I think it is a great camera for the value and has many fantastic features. I've been VERY happy with the quality of photos that I've been producing with it. As others have said, work out what you want it for and that should help you decide. Also, if money is an issue, the D600 is the better value in my opinion for the price.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d610, nikon d800