Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using EV compensation for high f-stop lens?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

cprstn54

cprstn54

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag

I am interested in the Tamron 18-270/f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD lens for my D3500.

Reviewers have reported distortion at f stops faster than 8.0.

Inasmuch as underexposed digital pics retain most of their detail, does it make sense to shoot at f8 and, say, EV compensation of -3? That way distortion is low and the images can be brought to EV=0 in post processing.

Ken C

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The problems with intentionally underexposing and lifting in post are twofold.

First, you lose a lot of DR compared to getting things right.

Second, you lose lots of the signal but none of the noise, so the S/N ratio gets really bad.

There is plenty of detail, but shadows get noisy and the DR is very compressed. If the intended use is relatively small web snaps, the quality might be enough but if you intend to blow things up as prints, you want as much DR and signal strength as you can get.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

I would suggest you dont take too much notice of those reviews, the distortion would be less of a problem than underexposing your images on a D3500,most lenses suffer some problems when stopped down too much.