Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hello from a New Guy!

nikon d7500

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

Greetings, all!

I am new to the forum and interested in getting advice, and suggestions, from folks knowledgeable on Nikons. Currently, I have no camera, except my phone. My previous one was a Sony DSC-HX300 "bridge camera" that I really enjoyed, but I wanted something better - now is my opportunity.

I enjoy photographing nature, architecture, landscapes, people, cars and motorsports. 

I do plan on a DSLR purchase in January/February 2020.

I am considering a Nikon D7500, with a Nikon AF-s 28-300 f.3.5-5.6G ED VR lens.

Suggestions? Comments? Questions?

Any help/assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for having me here!

Cheers!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Why the 28-300? Won't you miss he wider angles? There are superzooms that are made for DX sensors. The AF-S DX 18-300 f/3.5-6.3 VR comes to mind. The Tamron 16-300 is another, better choice than the 28-300.

I would rather have the AF-P VR kit zooms with the D7500 as they are *very* cheap when bought with a camera and there is much less compromise that lowers the optical performance compared to the superzooms. The AF is faster than the superzooms and the AF-P 10-20, 18-55 and 70-300 DX VR lenses make for a lightweight kit that covers most of your interests even if they are not ideal for motorsports or animals.

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum

TexMax

TexMax

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustin TX USA

Welcome to the forum

Thank you. I am happy to be included and hope to learn much, and am looking forward to sharing my photos for "admiration and criticism."  :-) 

Why the 28-300? Won't you miss he wider angles? There are superzooms that are made for DX sensors. The AF-S DX 18-300 f/3.5-6.3 VR comes to mind. The Tamron 16-300 is another, better choice than the 28-300.

I would rather have the AF-P VR kit zooms with the D7500 as they are *very* cheap when bought with a camera and there is much less compromise that lowers the optical performance compared to the superzooms. The AF is faster than the superzooms and the AF-P 10-20, 18-55 and 70-300 DX VR lenses make for a lightweight kit that covers most of your interests even if they are not ideal for motorsports or animals.

Thank you for your comments.

I agree that, you are correct, there will be situations where the 18 mm will be of use. One reason I am stepping up is that I want results that are crisper than what the previous camera would deliver. 

I was considering not carrying multiple lenses, but that takes away from what I will want and expect. I still have some time before my purchase.

Thank you very much for your help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d7500