Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Photography Growth...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Since I've joined this site I've really felt my photography skills have grown tremendously. I get great suggestions and ideas. Because I'm posting more I want to produce quality improved photos. I've really been enjoying my time on this forum and watching my skills grow and my photos improve. Considering how short a time I've been on here I can't wait to see what I'm achieving in a years time!

Taronga Zoo (1 of 1).jpg

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Every year or so I get this urge to go back and reprocess and reshoot every single thing I've done in the past. As you get better through education and experience you just get this natural "hindsight" on previous work... how it could have been better, if you did "this vs. that" ... I think it's a sign of health growth in someone who takes pride in their work. :)

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

LOL yeah I've had that urge.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Funny, I've probably taken less photos since joining, although this time of year I tend to take less anyway.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Yeah, same here. I call this "dead stick season". But this is the time of year I get the itch to go through old photos and reprocess EVERYTHING!  lol

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Good idea. If I can get my scanner to work, I may go through some old stuff and digitize it.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

I've gone equipment crazy... lol... trying to work out what lenses I want... what I want to shoot... where do I want to go with my photography... this forum has really spurred me on. Absolutely loving it. :D

Ignacior

Ignacior

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSan Diego

I completely agree, not only have my shots gotten better, but im also more motivated to out and shoot. I find myself planning pictures all the time, even when i dont have my camera.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

You can have a look at where you're at on this chart:

Attached Thumbnails

• photographer-graph-1024x858.png

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I can only echo the comments above. Particularly since before coming to this site I had been a auto only with my D40. Even tonight I found myself relaxing in front of TV, but in my hand were some notes on apertures and shutter speed etc getting my head around the principles that I have learnt on this site. I did not even know what a prime was before I joined this forum, now I look at the characteristics of every lens, both pros and cons.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I've gone equipment crazy... lol... trying to work out what lenses I want... what I want to shoot... where do I want to go with my photography... this forum has really spurred me on. Absolutely loving it. :D

Me too. I have bought a new camera body and two lenses in the last three weeks. 

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

I've just realised that this site is nothing but an Evil Ploy by Nikon to make us buy more of their equipment so they can take over the world! Damn you Nikon and your freaking cool equipment!

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I've just realised that this site is nothing but an Evil Ploy by Nikon to make us buy more of their equipment so they can take over the world! Damn you Nikon and your freaking cool equipment!

They did kind of time the opening of this site with the D5300 and D610 releases, didn't they.   ;)

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Internet marketing is very very clever. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I was kind of in crunch time when I joined and my "frames per week" average went up as it normally does as I'm trying to get some playoff photos, etc.  Things are winding down there, so I'll be in a bit of a dead period with time to catch up on getting photos organized, my disk cleaned up, etc.  I am hoping to shoot a few more of the winter sports this year though, so I'll keep my trigger finger in shape!  But, I've definitely gotten some ideas from this site and some reminders from here of things that I've really enjoyed shooting.  I'm building a mental list of things to work on, subjects to shoot and gear that I really do need to buy even though I'll probably never use the gear shooting sports photos.

So, I'll do my organizing and finalize the fall sports over the next couple of weeks, take a few pix when opportunities arise and get ready for the new year with a long list of sports and non-sports shots that I want to take over the next few months until spring sports kick in!  Spring sports are my favorite - mostly because that means I get to photograph my boys enjoying themselves with their favorite sports...

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Yeah things are slowing down for me as well as we get closer to end of year... I'm chocka block with work stuff every weekend but I am still going to make time to fit in some shooting.

I've now also Joined Viewbug, uploaded some photos and entered some comps. I'm already receiving some positive feedback so it's buoyed me further to keep working and improving my skills.

I also now have 2 new lenses, my 14mm and 85mm that I need to get out and use. I'm also waiting for my battery grip which should hopefully arrive in the next week or two.

Over here we're coming into Summer next week and it's my favourite season so I definitely want to get out and take advantage of it!

DSC_3996.JPG

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Yeah things are slowing down for me as well as we get closer to end of year... I'm chocka block with work stuff every weekend but I am still going to make time to fit in some shooting.

I've now also Joined Viewbug, uploaded some photos and entered some comps. I'm already receiving some positive feedback so it's buoyed me further to keep working and improving my skills.

I also now have 2 new lenses, my 14mm and 85mm that I need to get out and use. I'm also waiting for my battery grip which should hopefully arrive in the next week or two.

Over here we're coming into Summer next week and it's my favourite season so I definitely want to get out and take advantage of it!

attachicon.gifDSC_3996.JPG

I just got a battery grip today. I love it. It makes the whole camera so ergonomic it's amazing. 

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Dammit I hate waiting!

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Interesting comments, but you mentioned the battery grip, what do you see the main advantage is of using a battery grip? I have seen them advertised, but was trying to work out benefits.

By the way, really like your image with the footprint in the sand.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Interesting comments, but you mentioned the battery grip, what do you see the main advantage is of using a battery grip? I have seen them advertised, but was trying to work out benefits.

Two reasons.

1. It doubles your battery life. The camera uses up the juice in the grip batteries first, then switches over to the battery pack in the camera body itself.

2. It gives you double the available area to hold on to, and it allows you to shoot vertically without twisting your hand/wrist/arm around. 

Plus, it looks cool. It makes your camera look like a D4!