Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

is see nikon has 120-300mm F/2.8 coming out. need some tips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i have  1.7 teleconverter and still own 70-200mm F/2.8. was thinking to hold on to my 150-600mm gen 1 tamron which is Full manaul on Z6. instead of replacing it. thought about getting new nikon 120-300mm with my  1.7 teleconverter to make it 205 to 510mm with F/4.6 stop compared if replaced my 150-600mm for 200-500mm F/5.6 or 5.6-6.3 with third party's 150-600mm F/5.6-6.3 so what would you do. if in my shoe

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The combination will probably be sharper than the 200-500 and the extra light transmission would be useful but it will be an expensive lens when they bring it to market.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

The combination will probably be sharper than the 200-500 and the extra light transmission would be useful but it will be an expensive lenis s when they bring it to market.

thats what i getting at thought be better and be nice paring with my 70-200mm so can have extra reach i need also can turn the 70-200mm on my d7200 as second setting camera for shorter reach and use Z6 combo this way for long reach and be better for low F/stop like you said. also when i do softball get past the net better too. if do not use 1.7 teleconverter too get longer reach i need for night time photo when do night time soccer too. other question is. not sure where i saw or read but i heard F/4 is the highest you want to go for night time action sports in low lights too. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The f4 aperture is already pushing the limits for night / indoor sports.  I do it with my 200-400  which is an f4 but I would not want to go any higher.  Compared to f2.8 you will already have to have a higher ISO or lower shutter speed.  There are way too many variables to say for sure but I wouldn't want to go higher than f4.  A friend of mine who shoots sports professionally uses the Tamron 150-600 but that is mostly day sports and occasionally a night game in a well lit stadium - not a typical high school or normal college field for lighting.  I can get by with the 200-400 f4 on those fields most of the time, but as I said I would not want to have to go higher...