Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My first camera D3500 - need help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

PhotoBomb

PhotoBomb

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I just bought my first camera (d3500). I bought the 2 lens kit and this is what included.

The Two Lens Kit includes two matched lenses to help you cover all the angles.
The AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens is great for portraits, landscapes, videos and other wide perspective shots.
The AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED is a versatile telephoto zoom lens that's great for sports, concerts, nature and more.

As this is my first camera, what else should I get or should know?
Thanks

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

When I got my D5600, it came with the AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR kit lens. There were several deals available that included a second lens, a 70-300mm telephoto. I didn't go for the two lens deal because the 70-300mm being offered at the time didn't include VR. Instead, I purchased a Nikon renewed version that had VR capability, an AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR from B&H. If it's not too late, you might want to consider a similar approach unless you actually got a 70-300mm with VR.

As for other lenses, that depends on what you plan to shoot. I added a Nikon renewed AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens from Amazon. It's my "walking around" lens that combines a nice range of aperture and reach.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Nothing...and lots of things...

Seriously, as long as your camera came with a battery and charger and you bought a card to put the images on, you really don't need anything else.

That said, you may want an external flash, additional cards, additional batteries, a tripod, a bag to carry your goodies, more lenses, and about anything else you can think of related to photography. 

But don't worry about all those things now.  Go out and enjoy using your camera and learn how it functions.  Hang out here and share some images and the folks here can help answer questions you might have.  And then once you have been shooting for awhile, you will discover the things you need as well as the things you want.  Those lists are not always the same  :) .  

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

Seriously, as long as your camera came with a battery and charger and you bought a card to put the images on, you really don't need anything else.

Go out and enjoy using your camera and learn how it functions.  

This, for sure.

I bought a Nikon D5600 3 months ago with the same lens kit... it's a great range of focal lengths.

Yes, the more seasoned photographers will suggest better lenses, but they cost a fortune. Take your time and read the manual, learn your camera's functions and take hundreds of pictures. Print a few of your favorites and share them with family and friends. That's what I've been doing and its great!