Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens comparison

nikon 18-300mm vr 18-200 16-80

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ils

Ils

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, can someone please help me? I have a Nikon D5500 with a few lenses but am now at the age where carrying a few with when I travel is just too much. I am looking into getting one lens to replace them all. I realise there are many facets to consider, but for me, zoom and image quality is the most important. How does the image quality of the above three lenses compare? And then - just to be 'naughty' - since the combination of the camera body plus zoom lens will come to around 1000g, is the Sony RX IV a good alternative - especially as far as image quality is concerned? Thanks so much!

Apologies - I am new here and this is my first post. I thought the subject box contents will be visible in the post. The three lenses are:

* NIKKOR 16-80 f/2.8-4

* AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

* Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR

(All latest versions)

Thanks again!

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi,

In your post you say

How does the image quality of the above three lenses compare?

But there are none listed.

Which lenses did you consider?

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Hi,

In your post you say

But there are none listed.

Which lenses did you consider?

In the thread title, must admit i had to look for them.

Give us an idea of your subject interests.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks Mike - I had to go to the webview to find the tags

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If image quality is the most important, the superzooms are far from ideal. That said, the current 18-300 is superior to the 18-200 that is superiior to the older, much heavier 18-300. The 16-80, or even the old 16-85 are in another league when it comes to optical quality.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Struggling to find an RX iv, is that the full model number

Ils

Ils

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

In the thread title, must admit i had to look for them.

Give us an idea of your subject interests.

That is difficult...  That s the problem - I want to be able to be 'ready' for whatever circumstances I am in. But  - In order of preference -  travel, nature, city scenes, street photography, wild-life (love this but seldom get the opportunity), portrait.

Thanks!

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

That is difficult...  That s the problem - I want to be able to be 'ready' for whatever circumstances I am in. But  - In order of preference -  travel, nature, city scenes, street photography, wild-life (love this but seldom get the opportunity), portrait.

Thanks!

Nothing against sony but if you do move away from Nikon have you considered M4/3 from panasonicor olympus, i do nature/wildlife but my Nikon D500 and Sigma 150-600 became just too much for me.

M4/3 are still small and light compared with Nikon but you are still in a system. two very light lenses would cover your needs.

This would give you a FOV of 90-350 on full frame

Panasonic 45-175mm f4.0-5.6 LUMIX G X Vario Micro Four Thirds Lens | Wex Photo Video

This would give 24-120 FOV

Panasonic 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 LUMIX G VARIO POWER O.I.S Micro Four Thirds Lens | Wex Photo Video

Ils

Ils

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Nothing against sony but if you do move away from Nikon have you considered M4/3 from panasonicor olympus, i do nature/wildlife but my Nikon D500 and Sigma 150-600 became just too much for me.

M4/3 are still small and light compared with Nikon but you are still in a system. two very light lenses would cover your needs.

This would give you a FOV of 90-350 on full frame

Panasonic 45-175mm f4.0-5.6 LUMIX G X Vario Micro Four Thirds Lens | Wex Photo Video

This would give 24-120 FOV

Panasonic 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 LUMIX G VARIO POWER O.I.S Micro Four Thirds Lens | Wex Photo Video

Thank you. I'll consider your suggestion, but I'll be basically where I am now with 5 lenses to choose from, two of which will certainly suffice. Ideally, although I know I will have to sacrifice perfection,  I want one lens to cover all needs - not in excellence but 'well'.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you. I'll consider your suggestion, but I'll be basically where I am now with 5 lenses to choose from, two of which will certainly suffice. Ideally, although I know I will have to sacrifice perfection,  I want one lens to cover all needs - not in excellence but 'well'.

Ime still struggling to find the Sony RX IV, is that its full name

When i have to change down again i will look at something like this

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ1000 Digital Camera | Wex Photo Video

Now if your talking about this the yes it gives great results

Sony Cyber-Shot RX10 IV Digital Camera | Wex Photo Video

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag

That is difficult... That s the problem - I want to be able to be 'ready' for whatever circumstances I am in. But - In order of preference - travel, nature, city scenes, street photography, wild-life (love this but seldom get the opportunity), portrait.
Thanks!

Looking at the type of captures you wish to take, as well as the lenses you mentioned, I think the 16-80/2.8-4 would be the ideal choice for all, both in focal length and quality, except wildlife (which usually needs a longer focal length).

If you got opportunities for taking wildlife pictures and wanted to invest in an additional lens, then I would look for the 70-300 lens, as a complement to the 16-80.

My wife is having the 16-80/2.8-4 DX as walkaround lens on her D7200s and she is most happy about the results she gets.

Ils

Ils

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks to everyone who has so kindly responded and for all your advice. I really appreciate it. I think I will go with the last suggestion (the 16-80/2.8-4 DX) plus my zoom lens or sell the whole lot and go for the Sony RX10iv.

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

I'd recommend reading a few reviews of the Sony RX10iv first.

Also keep in mind it's a heavy, bulky camera to carry around.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon 18-300mm vr, 18-200, 16-80