Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Difference in Auto Mode and P Mode ?

auto mode program mode program settings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

fdormoy

fdormoy
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada, Quebec, Piedmont

In most cameras, including my Nikon Z7, in the knob we have to set Manual, Aperture, Speed, Program, and Auto, I am not sure to understand what is the difference between the P (Program) mode and Auto Mode.  In the User Manual says that Auto Mode, is A “point-and-shoot” mode in which the camera sets exposure and hue.  In the Program Mode, the camera sets shutter speed and aperture for optimal exposure. Recommended for snapshots and in other situations in which there is little time to adjust camera settings.  But I though the Auto Mode would do the same.  Can someone explain precisely what is the difference between the two ?

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In Auto mode, the camera has full control and overrides the picture control, colour space, ISO and some other settings. Program mode only sets the shutter speed and aperture.

fdormoy

fdormoy
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada, Quebec, Piedmont

Thanks very much for the answer.

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

also if want to learn how to be better photographer then letting camera doing work better to start off in p mode then work way up to shutter mode then aperture mode then to full manual once you get hang of things. also do not be afraid to use auto iso at times. i have to since shoot a lot sports photography in low light setting where once side to bright other side to dark too. 

krag96

krag96
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks guys, that was a question I had in the back of my mind also.  I sometimes like Auto, but prefer to set my own ISO. 

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

My cameras are a Z 7 and  D850. I usually photograph birds and small wild life. I found that Manual mode is best for me because I need to control shutter speed and aperture on the fly. I also leave my ISO on Auto because many shots are taken in shady conditions where I can't use a flash. Granted, in some cases the ISO is too high and the shot comes out noisy, but I figure that a noisy, rare shot is better than no shot at all. I can always improve the graininess if there is a next time, with more favourable lighting conditions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auto mode, program mode, program settings